Compressing Negative space in a Report

Kemidan2014

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a report that runs off a query to which not all fields are required to be filled in. I've already used the "can Shrink" function on the fields i want to disappear however what can I do to "autoshrink" the negative space between each record in the report? I have pictures below of my Design view and Report view.
1677249356228.png
1677249452918.png

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
That looks to be because your DB is not normalized. :(
Each of thoise fields would be one fieldname in a table with other field(s) to indicate number/Type?
Then you would just bring in records that are populated.

Problem goes away. :)

Upvote 0
Yes Each field belongs to 1 table and there are other fields with in that table chose not to query for this report. I will try and put in some dummy information and see what happens

Upvote 0
OOOO I think I just found my answer. I needed to Click on the "Detail" Bar, also turn on "Can Shrink" and Auto Height to Yes.
That eliminated the extra spacing between records of the report
1677254048371.png

Upvote 0
Solution
So what happens when CM2 is empty?
You are displaying for fields that are empty, despite shrinking them. :(

I still think your structure is all wrong, and you will just have to workaround issues like this all the time.

Your call. :(

Upvote 0
Yeah I still have a bit more fine tuning to do but what is actually shown in the images is CM1 and CY1 fields because bare minimum 1 field in each must be filled in order to submit the report. I will be able to work around both fields being blank by adjusting my query to filter out a status field to which these would be blank by default and only presenting the records to which activity WOULD be filled in.
we still have data that needs to be manually migrated to complete it as its not currently in any database that we have.

Upvote 0
I concur because the first thing I thought of when I saw that is that the table is designed like a spreadsheet. Maybe that's not the real cause of the issue, but it sure is implied. This just reinforces that notion:
these would be blank by default and only presenting the records to which activity WOULD be filled in.
If you want to post a pic of your table relationships maybe we can confirm. Failing that, perhaps a look at the table in design and datasheet views.

Upvote 0
So don't be disappointed in me but I could not fit the size of it in a picture. I had a discussion with one of our Organization IT guys about Databases & Tables he suggested with what we are wanting to do that extra relational tables wouldnt be nessecary althought he agrees it will make the table would be a monster but as long as our group was willing to deal with it it shouldnt be an issue.

1677510684730.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back