Concatenate, but remove duplicates

dolfin

So I'm new around these parts, and after browsing/searching for a bit I'm convinced someone here can figure this out :)

I'm trying to prepare an upload to my online system, and need to concatenate fields to a single Record ID. Problem, there can be (and is) several duplicates, but I need unique values.

Here's the data:

Code:
13661	Credit |  Funds | EU
13661	Buyout | Funds |EU
13661	Buyout | Funds | EU
13661	Growth | Buyout | Funds | EU 
13680	Distressed | Funds |US
13688	Buyout | Funds | EU
13689	Credit | Funds | EU
13689	Buyout | Funds | EU

Here's what I'd like to end up with (notice the single row for each ID#):

Code:
13661	Buyout | Growth | Credit |  Funds | EU
13680	Distressed | Funds |US
13688	Buyout | Funds | EU
13689	Buyout | Credit | Funds | EU

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
What version of Excel are you using? Excel 2007/2010 has a Remove Duplicates function in the Data Ribbon

Upvote 0
Version 2007, but I need the duplicate entries to removed from the second column. Sorry, I realize I wasn't terribly clear. I basically need to consolidate the rows thy have the same record id (first column).

Upvote 0
There's probably a simpler way to do this, but this should work - just change the following for the right ranges.

From C1 to J1 respectively

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$8=A$1)*((ISNUMBER(FIND("Buyout",$B$1:$B$8)))))>0," Buyout |","")
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$8=$A1)*((ISNUMBER(FIND("Credit",$B$1:$B$8)))))>0," Credit |","")
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$8=$A1)*((ISNUMBER(FIND("Distressed",$B$1:$B$8)))))>0," Distressed |","")
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$8=$A1)*((ISNUMBER(FIND("Funds",$B$1:$B$8)))))>0," Funds |","")
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$8=$A1)*((ISNUMBER(FIND("Growth",$B$1:$B$8)))))>0," Growth |","")
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$8=$A1)*((ISNUMBER(FIND("EU",$B$1:$B$8)))))>0," EU |","")
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$8=$A1)*((ISNUMBER(FIND("US",$B$1:$B$8)))))>0," US |","")
=CONCATENATE(C1,D1,E1,F1,G1,H1,I1)

Cheers, :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, i am working as an NGO

need to create excel where if duplicate data is found
1. It will remove that COLUMN.
2. Duplication of email and phone need to check.
3. If found duplicate concatenate like column A value, Column B value concatenate in first occurrence like Ax(Bx), then next duplicate value concatenate.

I need all the columns of an excel will do this without choosing a particular limited column,Row value.

Having data in huge quantity...

There's probably a simpler way to do this, but this should work - just change the following for the right ranges.

From C1 to J1 respectively

Cheers, :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back