Removing duplicates and consolidating different fields

tonyg88

Hello Everyone,

I'm really having trouble solving this - it's driving me crazy.

I have a set of data with some duplicate ID's in column A. If the ID is the same, I would like to concatenate the values in the columns to the right with the rows below, but only if they're different. I found a couple of related questions on this site, but can't seem to relate it directly back to my issue here. I tried nested IF statements, but can only figure out how to compare 2 rows, if there are more than 2 duplicate IDs - my formula would not identify them and consolidate into 1 row.

I'd be extremely grateful for anyone who can help me out. See below for an example (not the actual data I'm working with):

ID
NameOrder
1JackChicken
1Jill
Pork
2JackChicken
3JackRice
4JillChicken
4JackChicken
4JackPork
4JillRice

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Here's what I would like the final result to be:

ID
NameOrder
1Jack, JillChicken, Pork
2JackChicken
3JackRice
4Jill, JackChicken, Pork, Rice

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
If your happy to use Code, try this:-
Results start "D1"
Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG19Jan01
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] dic [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Object
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Dn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] K, p, g, c [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Ps [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Gs [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("A1"), Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] dic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    dic.CompareMode = 1

[COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Rng
    [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not dic.Exists(Dn.Value) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] dic(Dn.Value) = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
        [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
            [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not dic(Dn.Value).Exists(Dn.Offset(, 1).Value) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
                [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] dic(Dn.Value)(Dn.Offset(, 1).Value) = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
                    dic(Dn.Value)(Dn.Offset(, 1).Value).CompareMode = 1
            [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
                dic(Dn.Value)(Dn.Offset(, 1).Value)(Dn.Offset(, 2).Value) = Empty

[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Dn

[COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] K [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] dic.keys
    c = c + 1
    Cells(c, "D") = K
        [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] p [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] dic(K).keys
            Ps = Ps & ", " & p
            [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] g [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] dic(K)(p).keys
                [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not InStr(Gs, g) > 0 [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR] Gs = Gs & ", " & g
            [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] g
        [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] p
        Cells(c, "E") = Mid(Ps, 2): Ps = ""
        Cells(c, "F") = Mid(Gs, 2): Gs = ""
[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] K
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
IDNameOrderIDNameName1Order1Order2Order3
1Jackchicken1JackJillchickenpork
1Jillpork2Jackchicken
2Jackchicken3Jackrice
3Jackrice4JackJillchickenporkrice
4Jillchicken
4Jackchicken
4Jackpork
4Jillrice

<colgroup><col width="64" span="10" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Hi tonyg88,
Perhaps you can use this. It is not perfect for your purposes. Assume data source range is A1:C9. Assume result table headers are in E1:J1. You need to place formulas in E2,F2, and H2. Enter formulas with C-S-E. Copy across, then down
E2:
=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$9,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$9<>"",MATCH($A$2:$A$9,$A$2:$A$9,0)),ROW($A$2:$A$9)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROW($A$2:$A$9)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($E$2:E2))),"")

F2:
=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$9,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$9=$E2,MATCH($B$2:$B$9,$B$2:$B$9,0)),ROW($B$2:$B$9)-ROW($B$2)+1),ROW($B$2:$B$9)-ROW($B$2)+1),COLUMNS($F$2:F2))),"")

H2:
=IFERROR(INDEX($C$2:$C$9,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$9=$E2,MATCH($C$2:$C$9,$C$2:$C$9,0)),ROW($C$2:$C$9)-ROW($C$2)+1),ROW($C$2:$C$9)-ROW($C$2)+1),COLUMNS($H$2:H2))),"")

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hope this helps,
Mike S.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panjongshing

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back