Conditional Format to highlight dupes on EACH column BUT only on visible filtered selection

Melimob

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi, I want to basically do the inbuilt 'Highlight Duplicate Values' that excel applies against each column in my data set. = Easy.
However, when I filter the selection, I want it to consider the filtered selection and tell me where there are dupes.

I thought I got it to work with this formula but it's not working all the time and I think it's comparing columns. I want to look at each column individually and perform the same way the usual CF dupe works but just change according to what is filtered.

SUMPRODUCT(($E$21:$E$919=$E21)*($U$21:$U$919=$U21)*SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET($E$21,ROW($E$21:$E$919)-ROW($E$21),0)))>1

My data set is A21:U919 however I only want the rules to apply to E21:U919 (it's in a table btw).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
You want the highlight duplicates to apply to every column individually. But for each column you want to apply the criteria from column U?
With you range E21:U919 selected try to enter this formula in the CF:

Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((E$21:E$919=E21)*($U$21:$U$919=$U21)*SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET($E$21,ROW($E$21:$E$919)-ROW($E$21),0)))>1

The column criteria without fixing the column. No "$" for the column.

Upvote 0
You want the highlight duplicates to apply to every column individually. But for each column you want to apply the criteria from column U?
With you range E21:U919 selected try to enter this formula in the CF:

Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((E$21:E$919=E21)*($U$21:$U$919=$U21)*SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET($E$21,ROW($E$21:$E$919)-ROW($E$21),0)))>1

The column criteria without fixing the column. No "$" for the column.

Firstly, HUGE HUGE Thanks for your reply... it nearly works however I think it's my error not understanding the formula against what I want to achieve.
I want to compare every column to itself and highlight as dupe based on filtered selection. I.e. not comparing to column U?
thank you again! really helps!

Upvote 0
Firstly, HUGE HUGE Thanks for your reply... it nearly works however I think it's my error not understanding the formula against what I want to achieve.
I want to compare every column to itself and highlight as dupe based on filtered selection. I.e. not comparing to column U?
thank you again! really helps!
OK so based on your guidance,, I removed the absolute ref from U also and IT WORKS!!!

thank you again.. this is what worked:

Excel Formula:
SUMPRODUCT((E$21:E$919=E21)*(U$21:U$919=U21)*SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET($E$21,ROW($E$21:$E$919)-ROW($E$21),0)))>1

Note: takes a while for it to colour as you scroll left/right but catches up in the end!
great thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back