Conditional Formating

Jerk24

Board Regular
What formula is needed to Highlight only even numbers. </SPAN>

the trick is I have the following formula</SPAN>

=CONCATENATE('INDV Log'!AG41," ",'INDV Log'!AH41)</SPAN>

the result is</SPAN>

TEAM 2</SPAN>

So there are 12 Teams and I just want to highlight the even teams with conditionally formatting or some other way??</SPAN>

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
You can use conditional formatting. Select your cells, go to Conditional Formatting, select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format", type in Mod(Right(A1,1),2)=0 and select your formatting. That should do it.

Upvote 0
Say the cell you want to check is A1. Then apply this Conditional Formatting Formula to that cell:
Code:
=MOD(MID(A1,6,2),2)=0
and choose your Highlighting color.

Upvote 0
You haven't shown any data, so I can't give you straight answer. But I can share how it works.

Say I wanted to highlight the even values in A5:A100. I would select that area (the are to which I want to apply the conditional formatting), then enter this formula in the conditional formatting wizard (tell it that you want to "Use a formula to determine which cells to format"):

=ISEVEN(A5)

The reference is relative. So in cell A6 it will calculate the formula based on the value of A6, and for A7 it will use A7, etc.

It seems that in your data, 'INDV Log'!AH41 is a number field, so you might use that in the conditional formatting formula instead of my example above.

If you need a more specific answer, you'll have to give some data.

Upvote 0
This is working but only for the first 4 even teams. i need it to pick up 6 even teams. the teams are 1 - 12

For reference the list goes from b4:b15.

I understand how to use Conditional formatting. I know i should have used more specific references in the first place. I am not very good at that.

Upvote 0
bruderbell,

Note that you will need to remove the "Team " part of the string before you can apply the ISEVEN function to it.
(They did give one data sample in the original post):
the result is

TEAM 2
Not a big deal. You can apply the RIGHT or MID string functions like Audioa84 and I did in our replies. The ISEVEN function is a little more straightforward than using MOD. I had forgotten all about that!

Upvote 0
This is working but only for the first 4 even teams. i need it to pick up 6 even teams. the teams are 1 - 12

For reference the list goes from b4:b15.

I understand how to use Conditional formatting. I know i should have used more specific references in the first place. I am not very good at that.
Which reply are you referring to (you have 3 different possible solutions)?
Can you give an example of a value that is not working?

Upvote 0
Joe4

the reply was really for everyone sorry again for being vauge. the formula I used =MOD(MID(B4,6,2),2)=0

Upvote 0
So, what is your value in B4 that is not working?

Upvote 0
Note that you will need to remove the "Team " part of the string before you can apply the ISEVEN function to it.

Indeed. But the cell showing "Team 2" is just a concatenation of two other cells. So the effect of my method is to just reference the source cell - from the OP question, it was 'INDV Log'!AH41. Why sanitize the concatenation back into a number value when you could just refer to the source?

I really enjoy learning more methods to do things in excel. I hadn't thought of the mod() method

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taekwon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back