Conditional Formatting and Web Pages

bhardison

I'll be honest in that I'm not entirely sure exactly what I'm looking for.. So, I'll say what I've got right now and what I want to ultimately achieve:

I have a time sheet spreadsheet with 5 tabs, one for each day of the week... All sheets are identical except for the day and date. There is a list of names with conditional formatting that will change the background color of the cell based on the time entered in other columns. The conditional formatting is perfect if being used simply in the Excel spreadsheet. However, I want this data to be available on other computers, but without editing abilities. So, basically, the spreadsheet will be constantly open on 1 computer with the ability to edit.. Other people may open the spreadsheet on their computer, but should not be able to edit it. I thought of saving it as a Web Page in a folder that everyone has access to.. That seemed to work fine, but then I added a button with a macro assigned to it. That all works great in the spreadsheet too.

However, (And it seems as though this started happening after I added the macro/button) when I save the spreadsheet as a web page and then open the web page in FireFox, it looks exactly how it did when I saved it. When I open the web page as an Excel document and press the button to add the time (which is what the macro does), it adds the time, but the cell color does not change. I believe it has removed my conditional formatting. I don't know if the button/macro is the cause, but I do know that before I added it, after published as a web page, the conditional formatting was working.

I'm new at this, so I apologize if I was too descriptive or not descriptive enough. I'm happy to give more information.

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
this sounds like you just need to protect the sheet, after you do that, only someone with the password can change it

Upvote 0
Jamtay - The spreadsheet has to be shared.. If I password protect it, I'm not able to choose to unprotect it unless I unshare it. Is there a way around this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back