Conditional Formatting Equation

Coyotyto

I have a worksheet where I am trying to apply conditional formatting. I want to apply the equation

Code:
=($C$6/'Q1 2016'$C$6)>$H$39

I am trying to apply this to my entire worksheet but it will only work for the cell C6. The entire range I am using is from C6 to AB10. How do I have this code which divides the cell by the cell in 'Q1 2016' and checks if it is less than the value of H39 which I do not want to change.

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Select all the cells you want to format (C6:AB10), then apply this rule (note relative reference):

=(C6/'Q1 2016'$C$6)>$H$39

Upvote 0
Hi

I think you just need to tweak the absolute values in your formula, being the dollar signs surrounding the cell. For example, A2 is not absolute, A$2 is absolute in the row (i.e. the A can change but the 2 can't), $A2 is absolute in the column (the A can't change but the 2 can) and $A$2 is absolute in every direction (it won't change no matter how you drag your cell around).

First click in a single cell, let's say C6. Write the formula as you want but make sure that target cell C6 it is checking does not have any dollar signs. Then paint this formula to your whole sheet - the target cell should change but the $H$39 should not.

Hope that helps

Mackers

Upvote 0
If you want the cell on the current sheet divided by the equivalent cell on Q1 2016, (C6/'Q1 2016'C6, C7/'Q1 2016'C7, etc.) then use this formula with the dollar signs removed from both C6 references:

=(C6/'Q1 2016'C6)>$H$39

Upvote 0
When I changed the $ sign reference the Conditional Formatting Applied as it should. My next issue is that I have a macro written inside of this workbook that will import the Quarterly Reports that I need to be analyzing the 'Q1 2016'. When I run the macro to import new Quarters it messes up the conditional formatting code I originally wrote leaving a #REF error. Going forward is there something I can change about the formula to correctly use the new Spread Sheet or will I need to write another Macro to fix this.

If it helps the worksheet with the conditional formatting will not be changed and the second worksheet I will be using in the equation will always be the first sheet in the Workbook.

Thanks,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Narrian

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back