conditional formatting error?

Want2BExcel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Can anyone tell me why conditional formatting doublet is colouring this data? The formatting in cells are text.
And it gets even more weird. If I delete the first character in the top greens, the doublet colouring disappears for the first two, but then, by the 3th it "lights up the one above again, as if the two was identical...WTF???
1702543032191.png
1702543310211.png
1702543401936.png

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Can anyone tell me why conditional formatting doublet is colouring this data? The formatting in cells are text.
And it gets even more weird. If I delete the first character in the top greens, the doublet colouring disappears for the first two, but then, by the 3th it "lights up the one above again, as if the two was identical...WTF???
View attachment 103485 View attachment 103486 View attachment 103487

We need a bit more detail in order to be able to help you.
Please post the exact details of the Conditional Formatting Rule you are using.
And let us know what the exact range is of the image you are showing above.
And lastly, let us know exactly what you WANT this Conditional Formatting to do.

Upvote 0
We need a bit more detail in order to be able to help you.
Please post the exact details of the Conditional Formatting Rule you are using.
And let us know what the exact range is of the image you are showing above.
And lastly, let us know exactly what you WANT this Conditional Formatting to do.
It turns out that it wasn't an error with conditional formatting....just a formatting error (which I still don't know how to correct)
Maybe it requires a new post, since it's a different problem? :unsure:

The data in cell is formatted as text (notice the red circle), but excel "reads" it as number (Pic1) and when I try use the text function (Pic2) it "cuts" the last 3 characters (and that was why the conditional formatting was acting "weird" since the last 3 characters is unique for be able to differentiate one from another and my formula is counting 6 and not 1 as it should)
Is there a way to correct this "error"?

ValueType.png
TextFormat.png

Upvote 0
Yes, that really is a different question.
Note that for numbers, Excel can only store up to 15 significant digits. It will convert any others after that to zeros ("0") like you are seeing.
If you enter a value in as a number, it will automatically convert everything after the 15 digits to 0.
Once it is entered like that, you cannot get the original digits back. You need to FIRST format the cell as Text, BEFORE entering the value.

Upvote 0
Yes, that really is a different question.
Note that for numbers, Excel can only store up to 15 significant digits. It will convert any others after that to zeros ("0") like you are seeing.
If you enter a value in as a number, it will automatically convert everything after the 15 digits to 0.
Once it is entered like that, you cannot get the original digits back. You need to FIRST format the cell as Text, BEFORE entering the value.
I'm aware of this. But the table containing the data comes from an access db, where the data is "short text". Then a power query pulls the data out, also recognizing it as text and loading it into a table, where it looks like text but for these few cells (out of 5000+) Excel treats it as a number. I don't even get why Excel puts in a comma, when there is none in the cell

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back