Conditional Formatting Issues - Mass Formatting

Effincorey

Good Morning All,

I have read several threads on how to do mass conditional formatting but still no luck. I have tried using formulas and everything else that I know of. I am hoping that someone here might be able to help me before I break down and do each one by hand.

I have several cells that I am trying to conditional format with two criteria. I understand that I will have to do these seperate but I can't get it to paste properly so I don't have to alter each. I want column J to be either green or red depending on the column D.

J49>D49 highlight green and J49<D49 highlight red. But then I need that to travel down the column and it doesn't seem to want to do it any way that I try.

The next column should be J50>D50 hightlight green and J50<D50 then highlight red. However when I check the rules it states that in cell J50 the rules are J49>D49 highlight green and J49<D49 highlight red.

I really don't want to do these by hand. Anyone know how or why?

Thanks for the help!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
what criteria for red?

Go to conditional formatting, manage rules > New rule > Use a formula to determine which cells to format

use this as formula =$J49>$D49 set format fill to green, click Ok.

Applies to =$J:$J and click Ok.

Upvote 0
what criteria for red?

Go to conditional formatting, manage rules > New rule > Use a formula to determine which cells to format

use this as formula =$J49>$D49 set format fill to green, click Ok.

Applies to =$J:$J and click Ok.

I have no idea how that worked. My formula looks a little funny but it works! The only think I can think of is I was using =$J$49>$D$49. It was what populated when I selected a cell. Why did it make a difference? Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amcaddress

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back