Conditional Formatting Merged Cells

Newbienew

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Before I request aid. I am aware of the golden roll of conditional formatting and merged cells. DON'T DO IT. I assure you I do my best not to but there are some spreadsheets that can't be helped when merging is top to bottom. I do apologize.

On to my issues. My 1st issue is trying to get both unmerged cells to receive the format. If $C4 has text in it, then everything to the left need to fill in red it is not filled in. I am not sure how to get the non-merged cells to fill in.
My second issue is similar but in this case, I am looking to do the same thing only with using "?". In the beginning text of $z4 it will start with "?". If there is text to follow it, it wouldn't matter. Just the first character.
Please see link below. (Whats a better way to share workbooks?)

CF Merge Cells

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
A better way to share workbooks is to use the xl2bb add in that provides mini workbooks in the posts. Many people either cannot or avoid downloading files.
The link to the add in is below. There is help in the forums here if you are having problems with getting the add in working.

What specifically do you mean by "if it is not filled in"?: Filled with data? Already colored?

Upvote 1
How about
Excel Formula:
=AND(OR(ISTEXT($C3),ISTEXT($C4)),ISBLANK(D4))

Upvote 1
Solution
@ Fluff Thank you so much. Out of curiosity would you be able to assist me in the second part as well

@awoohaw I thought it only worked on small areas not large ones. I will have to try it out. Thankyou .

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=LEFT($Z4)="?"

Upvote 1
@ Fluff Thank you so much. Out of curiosity would you be able to assist me in the second part as well

@awoohaw I thought it only worked on small areas not large ones. I will have to try it out. Thankyou .

@Newbienew , I'm not sure what the size limit is. But, posting the data elements (ranges as well) in calculations, the cells where the calculations are, and examples of expected values are always helpful.

Upvote 0
After hours of searching this saved my life, thanks man!
How about
Excel Formula:
=AND(OR(ISTEXT($C3),ISTEXT($C4)),ISBLANK(D4))

For me this part was the thing I was looking for.
Excel Formula:
=OR(ISTEXT($C3),ISTEXT($C4)

Now I would need to expand this to four rows (one merged cell should affect 4 rows).
I tried to modify this formula but without success.
Is it somehow possible?

Upvote 0
Please start a new thread for you question.

When you do, it would be helpful if you could post some data.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back