Conditional Formatting not automatically updating

netrixuser

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
Apologies first as I "hijacked" a similar thread that was posted yesterday, my bad.

I have an issue where conditional formatting is not working automatically but rather needs some kind of "nudge" to work.
To explain - Cells C1 to C100 have a CF referencing cells A1 to A100. When the correct "trigger" is entered in, for example, cell A1 the CF in C1 will only update if:

I resize the row height or column width of the cell.​
I click to another tab in the workbook and click back again.​
I minimise Excel and maximise again.​
I edit C1 (using F2) and press enter​

All of the above will trigger the CF to work correctly.

Also, if I copy cell C1 to, say E1 (and adjust the CF for E1 to reference A1) then the original CF for C1 will work correctly AND all the CF in C2 to C100 will also work correctly - If I delete E1 everything stops again.

Calculation Options on the Formulas tab is set to Automatic and, following advice found in a similar thread on Mr Excel [thanks to Georgiboy], I have checked the following - it was already set to True:

1. Set up your conditional formatting in the cell's you want.​
2. Make sure you activate the "Developer" tab in the menu.​
3. Do this by clicking on the Office button, click on Excel options and in the "Popular" section check the box ""Show developer tab in the Ribbon".​
4. Click on the Developer menu and go to the Visual basic view.​
5. Click on the menu View and select "properties Window". In that list you can find the "EnableFormatConditionsCalculation".​
6. Set this value to "True" and the auto refresh will work.​
7. Perform this action for all tabs in your sheet.​

This used to work - it stopped sometime in the last three weeks (the spreadsheet was last used 3 weeks ago)

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Netrix

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
When asking for help with a conditional formatting rule, it is helpful to show the conditional formatting rule.

Upvote 0
When asking for help with a conditional formatting rule, it is helpful to show the conditional formatting rule.
Hi Jeff,

I didn't post the formatting rule because the rule is working - it just doesn't work automatically. I have to "force" the sheet to update but doing any of the things mentioned in the OP

regards

Netrix

Upvote 0
In case it will help - here are the CF rules, as previously mentioned - these rules are working fine but do not update automatically. I have to either widen the column or the row, or click onto another tab and back again before the CF updates.

Attachments

• CF issue - MR Excel.png
    CF issue - MR Excel.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back