Only some Conditional Formatting & Data Validation ranges work, even though those rules exist

CaptainKen

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have several ranges of cells on multiple sheets that I have manually applied both Conditional Formatting (CF) & Data Validation (DV). However, only some ranges actually work. I've also tried this by recording a macro for the CF and then using the macro to save time and avoid any errors. When I go into the respective configuration screens I see the rules.

Example Issues on the FEB tab:
  • Ranges G5:G9 work for CF and DV.
  • Only DV works for G11:17, but not for CF.
  • Neither CF or DV works for G21:G32, G43:41, G43:G49, G51:G63, G65:G70, G72:82 and G86:G93
Would someone please take a look to see what could be causing this as I've spent many hours attempting to redo and trouble shoot. I'm also wondering if it's possible that part of the workbook is corrupt.

Workbook here

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
You may want to use a non threatening sharing site like dropbox or onedrive. I do not know what captainken.com is and will not be opening that file.

Upvote 0
Depends what the DV is supposed to be doing in each range. Are they supposed to be the same?
The DV in G5 says that column E must be "Variable"
The DV in G21 says that column E must not be "Variable"

BTW, have you looked at XL2BB for providing sample data? It removes any problem with helpers not wanting to or not being allowed to go to other download sites.

Upvote 0
Solution
Great catch on the DV issue. What happened was I copied the value I used in CF, not taking into account the "<>" was supposed to be changed to "=" when used with DV. All the DV ranges have been updated and work as expected.

I went through the CF ranges, only to discover I did something stupid there as well. I had applied the same color that I was using in CF to the cells, before setting up the CF, rather than the default of no color. Changed default color for all to no color and now everything works!

Thank you sir Peter!!!

Upvote 0
Glad it is sorted. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back