Conditional Formatting of cells with colour disappears for no apparent reason

Sizler

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am using Excel 365 on windows 10 and when I open the spreadsheet the colours chosen by my use of Conditional Formatting are present, but after some movement from cell to cell the colours in the Conditional Formatted cells revert to white. Unusually if I then go to preview a Fill colour they all reappear but only whilst the cursor is on one of the preview Cell Fill colours , but when moving off these the colours disappear again and only reappear when the sheet is closed and re-opened again. They do not remain for long when you move around the cells!?? Any help would be great.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I have experienced something similar. Sometimes my colors don't update unless I scroll away and scroll back to color stuck cells. Also I had big trouble with Conditional Formatting Rules Manager on a 1650x900 (or similar resolution) monitor. With that monitor all conditional format rules "applies to" fields were rendering blank when they were not blank. After a long remote session with Microsoft and no fix, we concluded it was any combination of video driver incompatibility or monitor resolution.

Upvote 0
Hi JJenkx, many thanks for your reply. I have an ASUS Laptop and I have changed the Contrast settings with no luck. Did you just have to live with it or did you resolve it somehow?...I will check the resolution settings and see if there is any change. I suppose I was thinking it could have been the many complicated formula I have in Conditional formatting that could be causing this.!?

Upvote 0
What happens if you select all the cells & change the fill colour to "No fill"

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff,I selected all the cell and hovered and then changed the cells to no fill. The Conditional Formatting colour changes remained whild hovering but disappeared when the cursor moved away or I pressed no fill!? I have used another Laptop and accessed via One Drive and there was no such problems?... Leads me to beleive that it is likely to be the laptop resolution. I just hoped someone had experience this and found a lsolution!?

Upvote 0
I've only encountered it once & that was helping another member who had this problem. With his/her file setting the cells to no fill worked.

Upvote 0
I checked my old monitor and it was 1600x900 resolution. I was using the monitor connected to a lenovo laptop when I had the graphical issues. Once upgraded to a 1080p monitor the issue went away. Connect your laptop to another monitor and see if the problem persists.

Upvote 0
I checked my old monitor and it was 1600x900 resolution. I was using the monitor connected to a lenovo laptop when I had the graphical issues. Once upgraded to a 1080p monitor the issue went away. Connect your laptop to another monitor and see if the problem persists.
Thanks Jkenkx, but I tried by connecting this ASUS laptop 1080 had to my Tv 1080 hd and it was the same problem...it’s as if this laptop somehow cannot manage to conditionally colour some of the more complicated formulas. When it’s tiring to do other things. I have realised the more complicated formula cells always disappear consistently when I zoom out. But they all reappear when I close down the workbook and re open...strange thing it’s not all the conditional formulas just some... I wonder if changing their order or ticking stop when true may help...!?

Upvote 0
Try these:

1. Excel - Check or uncheck this option ===> file\options\advanced\Disable hardware graphics acceleration
2. Windows - systempropertiesperformance - select "adjust for best performance"
C:\Windows\System32\SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe or find by searching systempropertiesperformance

Upvote 0
JJenkx Thanks again for the suggestion, but I tried both these and there was no alteration...the colours still disappeared, until I close and reopen.... When I zoom out using two fingers on the laptop pad its then that the colours are lost. Its as if the screen cannot handle the cell colour changes whilst it is zooming....Thanks to All for trying... Looks like I may have to get another laptop...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back