Conditional probabilities and expected values for draft picks

RugbyD

I remember next to nothing about probabilities from stats class and my use of Excel is mostly limited to financial analysis, so I was hoping to find some help here and maybe provide a fun exercise for anyone with fantasy sports proclivities.

I'm trying to place a value on draft pick rights in my football league. We have a pre-draft lottery selection where everyone gets one lotto ball and when your lotto ball is picked you get to choose your draft slot. Ball rights are tradeable, so for example I can trade my 7th round pick to someone for the rights to their ball, giving me increased odds of being able to choose my preferred draft slot.

Assuming a normal distribution, the average expected lotto order of one ball in a 14-team league is 7.5. What I can't figure out is the conditional probability math and weighting to understand what the average expected lotto order is the more balls you have. I already have individual pick values in place and I want to be able to equate the gap between expected pick values to a certain later-round pick.

For example, if the 7.5 pick is worth 500, the 5.5 pick is worth 550, and the 90 pick is worth 50 I could know that trading the 90 pick for ball rights is break-even if my expected lotto order with 2 balls improves to 5.5 from 7.5. Please ignore the fact that I will not know ahead of time if in fact I will have the 90 pick or some other pick in that round.

Thanks for your help!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrSabo83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back