Conditional sheet protection in VBA (Row hide/unhide)

SuperWamJarice

Good Afternoon,

I am new on the forum and I didn't find the answer to my problem within the existing posts so I hope you will be able to help me.

I created an excel document that includes over 200 sheets. The purpose is to have inputs from the production team on each sheet. The document is protected so that they only have access to defined cells and that can't do any formating of any kind.
My front sheet sums up the content of the workbook. It contains the titles and subtitles with hyperlinks to reach the sheets the production team needs to fill in.
It contains, as well, buttons (with macros) to hide/unhide the subtitles to ease the search.
That is where my issue starts : I need to be able to use those "hide/unhide" buttons whether my workbook is protected or not. To be more specific:
- If the workbook is not protected, I just want it to remain unprotected even after the hide/unhide macro has been launched.
- If the workbook is protected, I need the macro to unprotect the sheet, hide or unhide the rows the macro refers to and then reprotect the sheet.

Here is one of the thousand codes I made to do that operation:

Code:
Sub groupePREF()

If ActiveSheet.Protect(Content) = True Then
    ActiveSheet.UnProtect Mdp

With Rows("4:74")
        If Not .Hidden Then .Hidden = True Else .Hidden = False
        End With

Range("23:25,27:29,31:33,35:37,39:41,43:63,66:68,70:72").Select
        Selection.EntireRow.Hidden = True
        Range("A4").Select

ActiveSheet.Protect Mdp

Else

With Rows("4:74")
        If Not .Hidden Then .Hidden = True Else .Hidden = False
        End With

Range("23:25,27:29,31:33,35:37,39:41,43:63,66:68,70:72").Select
        Selection.EntireRow.Hidden = True
        Range("A4").Select

End If

End Sub

and of course, it doesn't work!:oops:

If I just do unprotect at the begining of my macro to reprotect at the end it means that if my workbook is unprotected, as soon as I will use the macro, ok, it will hide or unhide the rows but I will en up with a protected sheet which is particularly annoying and time consuming when I am editing the document.

I hope this is clear enough...

Is anyone able to give me a hand on that issue?

Thank you very much in advance

Regards

PS: excuse my english, I am french !

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I usually avoid this issue by protecting all sheets from users but not for the macros (userinterface in VBA) at the opening of the file (opening event is where you have all the pages listed in VBA, the last is normally thisworkbook; and following macro would do it with "Secret" as password)

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim wSheetName As Worksheet
For Each wSheetName In Worksheets
wSheetName.Protect Password:="Secret", UserInterFaceOnly:=True
 Next wSheetname
 End Sub

You can set up different password for different sheets as well

The two good things are that

1) I do not care about sheet protections when writing macros (no need to unprotect at the begining and re protect after the operation, which is otherwise a nightmare when some "ifs" call deferent macros who also protect and unprotect

2) If I or someone else unprotect a sheet and forget to re-protect afterwards, the sheet is nevertheless protected for the next user.

I would then decide to lock and unlock cells and button based on the cases/users.

I speak perfectly French but avoided to answer in French so everyone would be able to understand my answer but I can translate any part if it helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kamolga,

Thank you for your quick answer.
I think I might still have an issue with the hiding/unhiding of rows with that option because i would need anyway to insert some code to unprotect and then reprotect the sheet to be able to hide/unhide rows, wouldn't I?

Upvote 0
If you want to hide/unhide manually, you would have to unprotect it manually of course;

if hide/unhide by macro, no the macro will perfectly hide/unhide the rows without unprotecting the sheet as long as the sheet has been protected through

Code:
sheet.protect userinterfaceonly:=true

(L'option userinterfaceonly:=True permet de modifier par VBA les cellules protégées)

If you do not like this method, you could indeed use a function that can say if the sheet is protected:

Code:
Function protection()
  Application.Volatile
  Set f = Sheets(Application.Caller.Parent.Name)
  protection = IIf(f.ProtectContents, "protégé", "Non protégé")
End Function
Function protection()
  Application.Volatile
End Function

There is another method with a function (=formula) that will calculate if a sheet is protected:
Code:
Function protection()
  Application.Volatile
End Function
So if now you type =protection() in a cell, it will say if the sheet is "protégé" or not. You can then use this value to now if the sheet was protected or not at the begining of the macro. But if the sheets are not userinterfaceonly, you will need a value change event on your sheets to recalculate as you could not type the formula through VBA in a locked cell..;and with 200 sheets, you will have speed issues / bug I believe

Example of second method in this workbook:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvmGsNl7aaaAgqpHi8LnS7QK9x1dWg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgsrus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back