Converting Spanish character symbols into UTF8 Format

Mescoman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey hey people.

I am working on a project where I am using Excel in English, and I have some characters in this Excel which are in Spanish (such as tildes "Público" and "Ñ"s and such). I have a programme which uploads the Excel/CSV into an SQL file, but it doesnt read the Spanish strings properly, instead returning a Square in SQL as if it doesnt recognize the character.

What I have found is that this SQL reads things in the format "Público" properly as their Spanish strings, but misreads Spanish characters. Whoever worked on this before found a way to convert Spanish strings into strings which could be read, and I am pretty sure I've seen this weird Spanish format before when working with CSVs and Excels.

Here is a screenshot to show what I mean a bit better. The first image is what appears on the Excel.

1690966460304.png

The above "Público" are read properly, while the below "Público" are not read properly.
This second image shows how they up looking in the :

1690966558088.png

So what I am asking, could someone help me convert the Spanish strings into this weird "Format"? My guess is that this is a standard thing, but I could be wrong and it could be a quirk of the software Im using to upload the Excel/CSV.

Many thanks!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Update:

Ive not quite solved the problem, but I have found a band-aid solution to it. Basically theres only so many Spanish symbols I am "worried" about here, so if I can find what they appear as in this weird format then I could just do a Find all and Replace to manage it. Here is the

Spanish symbol

Replace with

Á

ERROR

á

É

É

é

Í

ERROR

Ã

Ó

Ó

ó

Ú

Ú

ú

Ñ

Ñ

ñ

ñ

Notably, the capital a and i dont have translations. Thats because they appear as the weird A symbol with a space afterwards, like they cant be represented properly in Excel? Im not sure. Ive also found someone with a similar problem to mine, but backwards (it is in Spanish, they are struggling with files which automatically follow the format that I want): Tildes en letras y reportes ú ü à é - Znuny and ((OTRS)) Community Edition

Again, this is a very specific issue, so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1690990156506.png
    1690990156506.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back