Copy cell only as far as the previous column cells go down in Macro

Peter Davison

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have a cell F1 which I want to copy in a macro as far down the column as data goes in Column E.
The reason I can't leave a static formula in the cell is because it relates to a chart and if there is a formula in the cells lower than data in column E it will extend the width of the graph.
As I am new to VBA in Excel I'm not sure how to do this. Can you help?
Thanks

It comes up with the message box saying 19 on action of this line of code
Range("G2:G" & lr).filldown

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
In that case it should work. Are the cells empty after running the code?
Or is there a formula that returns ""?

Upvote 0
No the cells are empty.
The data that is in columns A:F is copied in as a value from another file as part of the macro and there is a graph also on the sheet that picks up column A:G using an offset range name so it knows how many rows to go to. There is also a pivot on the sheet for something else. None of the pivot or graph are anywhere near Columns A:G

Upvote 0
In that case can you post your file to a share site such as dropbox, onedrive, googledrive. Mark for sharing & then post the link here.

Upvote 0
It is a 50mb Excel Sheet with unfortunately sensitive data from a retailer I am working with, so I would be unable to do that.
How about if I just copied the sheet and that part of the macro which is not sensitive into a new file?
Would that be okay?

Upvote 0
It's really strange. When I copy the sheet into a new file, create the macro that you originally sent with the correct columns and use the macro it works okay.
I think because I have offset named ranges and also has an offset in Column G it is not happy with this.
I'm going to have another look tomorrow with a clearer head.
Thank you for all your help today. I am hoping I can crack this somehow tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Hello Peter,

I'm not sure why its not working but I created a mock-up based on the data as shown in your post #5 and both the methods supplied by Fluff and myself work seamlessly.

Try this alternative method:-

VBA Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Dim ws As Worksheet: Set ws = Sheets("rep writer variance report") '---->Make sure that the sheet name here _
is spelled exactly the same as the sheet tab name.

Dim lr As Long: lr = ws.Range("F" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

ws.Range("G2:G" & lr) = "=YOUR FORMULA HERE"  '---->Ensure that the "=" symbol is placed before your formula as shown.

End Sub

There's no need for the activate line of code as shown in your post #5.
Check to ensure that the ranges are correct.
Copy/paste your formula where you see "YOUR FORMULA HERE".

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.

Upvote 0
Hi,
It didn't work, but I still think there is a circular clash of some description.
I've decided to look at the source of the data coming in and used a formula in that solution so it comes into the sheet with the data already filled in.
Thanks for all your help you have been most helpful.
Regards
Peter

Upvote 0
Ok Peter. Maybe give us an update sooner or later. It would be good to know how it works out.
Good luck!

Cheerio,
vcoolio.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnaRisso

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back