Copy Worksheets

AC12

Seems this should be easy, but I need some help. Two VBA statements. First sends execution to a function in the module, though it should only clear a range. IF I comment that out, second statement sends execution to a different function in the module. What can I be doing wrong?

Sub CopyMySheet()
'Worksheets("TempServe").Range("A1:A500").ClearContents
Worksheets("ProvidedServices").Range("A1:A500").Copy Worksheets("TempServe").Range("A1:A500")

End Sub

Thanks for your help

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
What do you mean by 'sends execution'?

Do you mean a function is being called when you run either line of code?

If that is happening it means that the code is triggering calculation, and if you don't want that to happen set calculation to manual with this at the start of the code,
Code:
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
and set it back to automatic with this at the end of the code.
Code:
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic

Upvote 0
When I step through the code it gets to the clear contents statement and does not clear the contents, however the debugger shows that control has now passed to a function in the module. If I can get to the copy statement and I step through it, it does not put the data in the second sheet. however, the control then passes to a different function within the module.

Upvote 0
I've sent you all the code in that sub procedure. When I "step through the code" when it gets to the copy statement the procedure does not copy anything. Again, using step through on the copy statement, it doesn't go to the end sub statement, instead it moves to Function ClientNameFromID(MyID As Integer), which is a function in the same module. I hope this clarifies it.

Upvote 0
Looking at your code again here is what happening

'Worksheets("TempServe").Range("A1:A500").ClearContents
The above line of code clears the Range "A1:A500" in sheet "TempServe"

Worksheets("ProvidedServices").Range("A1:A500").Copy Worksheets("TempServe").Range("A1:A500")

In the above line of code Copies the range "A1:A500" in sheets("ProvidedServices") and paste the values into Range ("A1:A500") of sheet "TempServe"

So your clearing the contents and then repasting other data back into the same range you just cleared.

Upvote 0
What text colour is 'Worksheets("TempServe").Range("A1:A500").ClearContents in? The single quote at the start of the line says to me it's simply text (would be green) which code ignores.

Upvote 0
I've simplified the code to:

Sub CopyMySheet()
End Sub

Using step into
Click one highlights Sub CopyMySheet()
Click two highlights Worksheets("ProvidedServices....
Click three highlights Function ClientNameFromID(MyID As Integer)

That is, it skips the End Sub statement. It does make the copy, but I'm don't understand why the Function statement is now highlighted.

Upvote 0
Putting a ' before a line of code only tells the script to ignore that line of code it does not tell the script to go to next function in the same module.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back