Copyfromrecordset formatting- set NumberFormat doesn't help!

Rita777

Hello,
I know there are a number of threads dealing with this topic, but everything I have looked at seems to have the issue resolved at 'set numberformat', and that is not solving my problem, so I decided to post a new thread.

I am working in access and excel 2003. I am using copyfromrecordset to paste some query results into excel and then after that, I want to insert sum formulas below the pasted range- so I need the pasted values to be in currency or number format.

Here is where the problem is: I get the pasting and formula set up all happen perfectly well, but the sums are all 0, because the pasted range is formatted as text or general by default.
I tried using range(...).numberformat= "Number"
and range(...).numberformat= "$#.##" (what I really need is the currency format) after the data are already pasted. That did nothing-the range is still text. I also tried setting the right number formatting to the sheet before the data are pasted- no luck there either.

Generally, when I run into trouble with changing the format from text to something else in excel, I manually do text to columns on the selected columns and that changes the format to what I have just set. However, doing this manually is not an option for me- just too many workbooks with too many sheets.

Should I just try to do text to columns on the selected range programatically? I am willing to try that, but somehow I am sensing that this is not the most elegant- or even correct - solution to this. I feel like I should just be able to resolve things by simply setting the numberformat. Please post any suggestions. The snippet of code where I try to set the number format and insert the sum formulas is below. Thank you in advance!

PHP:
wb.sheets(currentsubtasktemplate).range(namecol & ":" & TOTALScol).NumberFormat = "$#.##"

'... setting recordset code here

'pasting:
wb.sheets(currentsubtasktemplate).range(namecol & header_PSreg + 1).CopyFromRecordset rs_monthsal

Debug.Print "pasted values"

'inserting sums below the pasted range:
Dim lastrowreg As Long
lastrowreg = monthsal_recordcount + header_PSreg + 1
'insert SUM row into PS REG section:
'Range("S3:S461").NumberFormat = "Number"
wb.sheets(currentsubtasktemplate).range(namecol & headerPS_reg + 1 & ":" & TOTALScol & lastrowreg - 1).NumberFormat = "$#.##"
With wb.sheets(currentsubtasktemplate)
.range(totsalcol & lastrowreg).Value = _
xlApp.worksheetfunction.sum(.range(totsalcol & monthsal_recordcount + header_PSreg & ":" & _
totsalcol & header_PSreg + 1))
.range(chargepertaskcol & lastrowreg).Value = _
xlApp.worksheetfunction.sum(.range(chargepertaskcol & monthsal_recordcount + header_PSreg & ":" & _
chargepertaskcol & header_PSreg + 1))
.range(fringecol & lastrowreg).Value = _
xlApp.worksheetfunction.sum(.range(fringecol & monthsal_recordcount + header_PSreg & ":" & _
fringecol & header_PSreg + 1))
.range(TOTALScol & lastrowreg).Value = _
xlApp.worksheetfunction.sum(.range(TOTALScol & monthsal_recordcount + header_PSreg & ":" & _
TOTALScol & header_PSreg + 1))
.range(namecol & lastrowreg & ":" & TOTALScol & lastrowreg).Font.Bold = True
End With

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
For anyone experiencing the same thing: I ended up using CCur() on the numeric fields directly in the sql queries. That converted them to currency and the format carried over during the copying to excel. The summing now works.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back