count occurrences of things in number of days

bonkerz

I want to find the maximum number of times a person accessed a system in any ten-day period. The data are a single row for each occasion that the person logged in, including a timestamp:

Person Date Login
xxx 2/1/17 10:03:01 yes
xxx 2/1/17 12:03:21 yes
xxx 2/3/17 12:00:41 yes
xxx 2/5/17 16:03:01 yes
xxx 2/7/17 10:03:01 yes
zzz 2/7/17 10:03:01 yes

If I make a pivot table and choose grouping, I can calculate how often each person logged in fixed ten-day increments. But in some cases the person's maximum may be from a ten-day period that is not in the fixed list that the pivot table creates. I need to basically have all possible ten-day ranges for each person. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
I want to find the maximum number of times a person accessed a system in any ten-day period. The data are a single row for each occasion that the person logged in, including a timestamp:

Person Date Login
xxx 2/1/17 10:03:01 yes
xxx 2/1/17 12:03:21 yes
xxx 2/3/17 12:00:41 yes
xxx 2/5/17 16:03:01 yes
xxx 2/7/17 10:03:01 yes
zzz 2/7/17 10:03:01 yes

If I make a pivot table and choose grouping, I can calculate how often each person logged in fixed ten-day increments. But in some cases the person's maximum may be from a ten-day period that is not in the fixed list that the pivot table creates. I need to basically have all possible ten-day ranges for each person. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I am no better at guessing where to start a ten day period in which to accumulate usage than Excel is. The logic for making that determination has to come from the one with the requirement for the data. If "any ten day period" is the criteria, then we could start at 1 January 1901 and work forward for the 40 odd thousand days between then and now. Or we could look ten day periods which start on a certain day of the week for each two week period from the starting date. Or the most practical way to do it would be to just start today and get the last ten day period, then do a daily log for each previous 10 workdays. But not knowing what the boss expects to see, these are only thoughts, not suggestions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back