Count text formula based on multi-criteria excluding duplicates

mcbiz77

Hello,
I'm looking for a count formula that counts the total number of sheets per person excluding duplicates. For example, below Nate has FTM01 and SM02 sheets assigned to him. His name is shown as 3 times in the table but the sheet names are the same for two of the items below. The answer needs to show that Nate has 2 sheets and Vito has 1 sheet. Please help me in finding a formula.

AB
Nate
FTM01
NateFTM01
VitoBD02
NateSM02

<tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Try...

A2:E5

NateFTM01Nate2
NateFTM01Vito1
VitoBD02
NateSM02

<tbody>
</tbody>

E2, confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, and copied down:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$5=D2,IF(LEN($B$2:$B$5)>0,MATCH($B$2:$B$5,$B$2:$B$5,0))),ROW($B$2:$B$5)-ROW($B$2)+1)>0,1))

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Thanks Domenic for the information! I tried adding additional columns between the Name (column A) and Sheet (column B) and when I do the calculation shows 0 rather than 2 and 1. Do you know what i have to do to the formula so that it calculates it correctly?

Upvote 0
Domenic, I was able to get the formula to work with the additional columns between the Name and Sheet however I notice that if I have more than 21 Names, the formula spits out an answer of #NA. Do you know why i'm getting this?

Upvote 0
Domenic, I was able to get the formula to work with the additional columns between the Name and Sheet however I notice that if I have more than 21 Names, the formula spits out an answer of #NA. Do you know why i'm getting this?

Care to post the formula as you implemented it?

Upvote 0
This is the formula that I'm using. It's actually anything over 22 is when I get the #N/A error.

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(A4:A22=BJ4,IF(LEN(E4:E22)>0,MATCH(E4:E22,E4:E22))),ROW(E4:E22)-ROW(E4)+1)>0,1))

Upvote 0
This is the formula that I'm using. It's actually anything over 22 is when I get the #N/A error.

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(A4:A22=BJ4,IF(LEN(E4:E22)>0,MATCH(E4:E22,E4:E22))),ROW(E4:E22)-ROW(E4)+1)>0,1))

The MATCH bit is incomplete... Control+shift+enter:
Rich (BB code):
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$4:$A$22=BJ4,IF(LEN($E$4:$E$22)>0,
    MATCH($E$4:$E$22,$E$4:$E$22,0))),ROW($E$4:$E$22)-ROW($E$4)+1)>0,1))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you very much Aladin! My formula finally works. How I left that part out beats me but it also looks like Domenic had that in their equation too.

Upvote 0
Another Question: Now that I have the total number of sheets per person, now I want to know if they comply or not. For example: Nate has a total number of 2 sheets (duplicate sheet removed) however he has 1 sheet that is not compliant (NO). What formula would I use to calculate the number not compliant?

A B C
Nate FTM01 Yes
Nate FTM01 No
Vito BD02 Yes
Nate SM02 Yes

Upvote 0
Another Question: Now that I have the total number of sheets per person, now I want to know if they comply or not. For example: Nate has a total number of 2 sheets (duplicate sheet removed) however he has 1 sheet that is not compliant (NO). What formula would I use to calculate the number not compliant?

A B C
Nate FTM01 Yes
Nate FTM01 No
Vito BD02 Yes
Nate SM02 Yes

What is the result for the exhibit above?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamil ahmed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back