Count Unique IDs

dwgnome

Sheet1

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 30px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><COL style="WIDTH: 107px"><COL style="WIDTH: 84px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 29px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; COLOR: #000080; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Unit IDs</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; COLOR: #000080; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Actual No</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">2</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">330</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #808080">1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">4</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">330</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">5</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">24</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #808080">1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">6</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">332</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #808080">1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">7</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">332</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 50px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">8</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">295 - 297, 300 - 302, 304 - 314, 326, 333</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #808080">19</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 30px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">9</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">316 - 323</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #808080">8</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 30px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">10</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">16 to 23</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #808080">8</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">11</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 25px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">12</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Total Units: </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">38</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: groove; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #00ff00; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffcf9; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: groove; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: groove; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: groove; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #00ff00"><TBODY><TR><TD>Spreadsheet Formulas</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 9pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><TD>Cell</TD><TD>Formula</TD></TR><TR><TD>B12</TD><TD>=SUM(B2:B10)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Need a one cell formula that can count the number of unique unit IDs. For multiple IDs in a cell, the dash or the word "to" are meant to be inclusive (assumes continuous numbering) while the commas separate the series. I prefer not to have a helper column like shown here.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

You could try posting the source data for the Vlookups. Right now, there is no particularily easy way of doing what you are asking for, so getting what you are asking for is tricky at best.

Cheers, :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
The formula used in all the columns is the following:

Code:
=IF(ISBLANK(INDEX(TableAll,ROW()-7,MATCH(B$8,INDEX(TableAll,1,0),0))),"",INDEX(TableAll,ROW()-7,MATCH(B$8,INDEX(TableAll,1,0),0)))

From my experience, the resultant values are what is needed to be acted on, independent of how they got there. In this case for row 8, the unit IDs 295 - 297, 300 - 302, 304 - 314, 326, 333 were entered in TableAll just the way it appears in the Sheet 1 column in this example.

Upvote 0
It looks like everyone has the same opinion. Excel works best with your data when all the data is actually entered into cells, not just your starting and ending points. Is there any way you could do that?

Upvote 0
Like I said, I cannot change how the data is setup. I just need to know if it is possible to isolate the numbers and do a summary count as presented in my original post. I am hoping one or more of this Board's moderators can provide further guidance (Aladin, T.Valko, DonkeyOte perhaps?).

Upvote 0
Like I said, I cannot change how the data is setup. I just need to know if it is possible to isolate the numbers and do a summary count as presented in my original post. I am hoping one or more of this Board's moderators can provide further guidance (Aladin, T.Valko, DonkeyOte perhaps?).
This is not possible with a formula.

You might be able to do it with a VBA UDF but I can't help you with that.

Upvote 0
There will be more elegant methods but as a starting point:

Excel Workbook
ABC
1Unit IDs
8295 - 297, 300 - 302, 304 - 314, 326, 333
9316 - 323
1016 to 23
Sheet1

Code:
Function UniqueIDs(rngStr As Range) As Variant
    Dim vUID, vTemp1, vTemp2
    Dim cCol As Collection
    On Error GoTo Handler
    Set cCol = New Collection
    vUID = rngStr.Value
    For lngU = LBound(vUID, 1) To UBound(vUID, 1) Step 1
        vTemp1 = Split(Replace(Replace(vUID(lngU, 1), "to", "-"), "-", ":"), ",")
        For lngT = LBound(vTemp1) To UBound(vTemp1) Step 1
            vTemp2 = Split(vTemp1(lngT), ":")
            For lngItem = Trim(vTemp2(LBound(vTemp2))) To Trim(vTemp2(UBound(vTemp2))) Step 1
                On Error Resume Next
                cCol.Add lngItem, CStr(lngItem)
                On Error GoTo Handler
            Next lngItem
        Next lngT
    Next lngU
    UniqueIDs = cCol.Count
    Set cCol = Nothing
    Exit Function
Handler:
    UniqueIDs = "Error"
End Function

edit: removed Evaluate - unnecessary

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you DonkeyOte, that worked a treat.

Is there a way to modify the code to still provide a count when an error is encountered instead of just "error". That is to continue to add/count the "valid" cells using "-", "to" and "," if someone placed "through" or forgot to enter a "-" and just had the two number in the cell. The result would state 36 or whatever the number is and after it state "check ranged entries for valid symbols".

Upvote 0
I'd be inclined to add just a handler around the numeric iteration - obviously some fairly significant assumptions were made regards data types etc...

Code:
Function UniqueIDs(rngStr As Range) As Variant
    Dim vUID, vTemp1, vTemp2
    Dim cCol As Collection
    Dim boolError As Boolean
    On Error GoTo Handler
    Set cCol = New Collection
    vUID = rngStr.Value
    For lngU = LBound(vUID, 1) To UBound(vUID, 1) Step 1
        vTemp1 = Split(Replace(Replace(vUID(lngU, 1), "to", "-"), "-", ":"), ",")
        For lngT = LBound(vTemp1) To UBound(vTemp1) Step 1
            vTemp2 = Split(vTemp1(lngT), ":")
            On Error GoTo Invalid
            For lngItem = Trim(vTemp2(LBound(vTemp2))) To Trim(vTemp2(UBound(vTemp2))) Step 1
                If IsNumeric(lngItem) Then
                    On Error Resume Next
                    cCol.Add lngItem, CStr(lngItem)
                    On Error GoTo Handler
                End If
            Next lngItem
NextValue:
            On Error GoTo Handler
        Next lngT
    Next lngU
    UniqueIDs = cCol.Count & IIf(boolError, " (with errors - check range for invalid symbols)", "")
    Set cCol = Nothing
    Exit Function
Invalid:
    boolError = True
    Resume NextValue
    Exit Function
Handler:
    UniqueIDs = "Error"
    Exit Function
End Function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back