COUNTIF With Multiple Conditions Across a Range

3ch03s

Hello.

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere. I have looked but I'm having difficulty matching my situation to others. Or perhaps I'm just not understanding how to use COUNTIF/COUNTIFS/SUMPRODUCT.

Here's my situation:

I'm hoping to create a matrix that displays the number of Home Wins, Away Wins, Home Losses and Away Losses of each team in a competition versus the other teams based on a list of results stored on a second worksheet.

To do so I need a formula to count the number of occurences where the following 3 conditions are met: Winning team = "Home"; Home team = "Team 1"; and Away team = "Team 2".

Ultimately I can edit and fill the formula to match each square in the matrix.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hello.

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere. I have looked but I'm having difficulty matching my situation to others. Or perhaps I'm just not understanding how to use COUNTIF/COUNTIFS/SUMPRODUCT.

Here's my situation:

I'm hoping to create a matrix that displays the number of Home Wins, Away Wins, Home Losses and Away Losses of each team in a competition versus the other teams based on a list of results stored on a second worksheet.

To do so I need a formula to count the number of occurences where the following 3 conditions are met: Winning team = "Home"; Home team = "Team 1"; and Away team = "Team 2".

Ultimately I can edit and fill the formula to match each square in the matrix.

Thank you!
If you could post a small amount of sample data it would help us understand your setup.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys.

Firstly, thank you both for your prompt replies. I'm not sure how to best paste the data. Unfortunately It doesn't look as though I can upload direct to this forum.

I've used what essentially was Willmonbo's formula and it seems to be working correctly at this point so thank you for your advice.

If you'd like to know (and I'd love some input), these are the formulas I have been using:

1. =COUNTIFS(Data!$F:$F,"Home",Data!$B:$B,C$1,Data!$D:$D,$B4)
  2. =COUNTIFS(Data!$F:$F,"Home",Data!$B:$B,C$1,Data!$D:$D,$B4)
  3. =COUNTIFS(Data!$F:$F,"Away",Data!$B:$B,$B4,Data!$D:$D,C$1)
  4. =COUNTIFS(Data!$F:$F,"Away",Data!$B:$B,$B4,Data!$D:$D,C$1)

Set up in a 2x2 matrix that looks like this:

Intending to calculate the following matrix where results are for the team indicated in the header row against the team in the left-most column:

Home Wins | Home Losses
Away Wins | Away Losses

Where:
C1 is the first cell reference for home teams (they rise by a factor of two [C1,E1,G1 etc.] to account for the win and loss columns)
B2 is the first cell reference for away teams (also rise by a factor of two [B2,B4,B6] to account for Home and Away rows).

and:

Data!A:A is the Game Date
Data!B:B is the Home Team Name
Data!C:C is the Home Team Score
Data!D:D is the Away Team Name
Data!E:E is the Away Team Score
Data!F:F is the Winning Team's Location (either "Home", "Away" or "TBC" for games not yet played)
Data!G:G is the Winning Team's Name (probably unnecessary as not used in the formulas)
and Data!G:G is the Losing Team's Name (again probably unnecessary).

If anyone knows where I could upload the spreadsheet, I'd be more than happy too.

Upvote 0
Bah! I can no longer edit the post above :(.

I've since added named ranges so that the formulas above are now:

1. =COUNTIFS(Winner_Loc,"Home",Home_Team,E$1,Away_Team,$B2)
  2. =COUNTIFS(Winner_Loc,"Away",Home_Team,E$1,Away_Team,$B2)
  3. =COUNTIFS(Winner_Loc,"Away",Home_Team,$B2,Away_Team,E$1)
  4. =COUNTIFS(Winner_Loc,"Home",Home_Team,$B2,Away_Team,E$1)
where: [Winner_Loc] refers to Data!F:F, [Home_Team] refers to Data!B:B and [Away_Team] refers to Data!D:D.

This makes everything a lot easier on the eyes. If only I could move this post before the last one :p

Thanks again everyone!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back