CountIF with single non condition

PavithraSubba

I'm trying to count all the values except one value in a column.Column having more than 5 different types of values,except one vlaues i wanna count remaining.The problem is when i use <> it is counting entire excel cells in a column

=COUNTIFS(ReportfromMSSP!I:I,"<>Cancelled").it is returning 1048550.but i'm having only 205 column

* is a wildcard for any series of character. Literally, it means any cells non-blank in Rick's formula.

btw, did you try my formula? it works.

=COUNTIFS(Sheet1!I:I,"<>Cancelled",Sheet1!I:I,"*")

=COUNTA(I:I)-COUNTIF(I:I,"Cancelled")

=COUNTIFS(ReportfromMSSP!I:I,"?*",ReportfromMSSP!I:I,"<>Cancelled")

will all behave the same, except when the column contains formulas returning a blank, that is, "".
In the latter case, the third formula will differ. Also, last two will ignore non-text input, while the first will count in everything excep "Cancelled."

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Try this formula instead...

Sorry, I used my test sheet name instead of your actual sheet name and forgot to change it when I posted it. I see Aladin posted the formula using the correct sheet name, so use what he posted.

Upvote 0
Yes,i gave try to you formula.but my column includes blank values also.

See,my column having "InProgress"," ","On Hold","Completed","Cancelled".

from the above values i have to count all values except cancelled.

I have tried like =COUNTIFS(ReportfromMSSP!I:I,{"InProgress","","On Hold","Completed"}) and =COUNTIFS(ReportfromMSSP!I:I,"<>Cancelled").

Upvote 0
both 1st and 3rd behave same,not counting blank value within the range.i wanna count blanks also covered within the range.

2)i'm doing calculation in one sheet and input data were in another sheet,so only refered with sheet name.when i use like this =COUNTA(I:I)-COUNTIF(I:I,"Cancelled").will it work
i have tried this like =COUNT(ReportfromMSSP!I:I)-COUNTIF(ReportfromMSSP!I:I,"Cancelled"). Count and counta is not working

Upvote 0
both 1st and 3rd behave same,not counting blank value within the range.i wanna count blanks also covered within the range.

2)i'm doing calculation in one sheet and input data were in another sheet,so only refered with sheet name.when i use like this =COUNTA(I:I)-COUNTIF(I:I,"Cancelled").will it work
i have tried this like =COUNT(ReportfromMSSP!I:I)-COUNTIF(ReportfromMSSP!I:I,"Cancelled"). Count and counta is not working

Do you have formulas in column I on ReportfromMSSP? If so, what is that formula?

Upvote 0
i don't have formula in column I on ReportfromMSSP,original data were there in I column.

i'm doing caluculation in another sheet.Column I of ReportfromMSSP sheet is having values like "Cancelled,InProgress,Completed," ",On Hold"

Upvote 0
@Aladin, you can always show me something new. I really have never thought about the case of "". You have just inspired to conduct a test on the formulas and they do behave a little different IF number is included in the range...

Ignore BLANK (nothing input) and Number; Count ""

=COUNTA(I:I)-COUNTIF(I:I,"Cancelled")

Ignore BLANK only; Count both "" and Number

=COUNTIFS(ReportfromMSSP!I:I,"?*",ReportfromMSSP!I:I,"<>Cancelled")

Ignore BLANK, "", and Number; Count Text only

will all behave the same, except when the column contains formulas returning a blank, that is, "".
In the latter case, the third formula will differ. Also, last two will ignore non-text input, while the first will count in everything excep "Cancelled."

Upvote 0
i don't have formula in column I on ReportfromMSSP,original data were there in I column.

i'm doing caluculation in another sheet.Column I of ReportfromMSSP sheet is having values like "Cancelled,InProgress,Completed," ",On Hold"

Do not use space, that is, " ". Leave the cell empty...

Upvote 0
yes cells were empty only,Can you please fill a column with values mentioned and try in another sheet with formula used.i have tried all formula told in this forum

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back