COUNTIFS between three spreadsheets

Nanaia

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I'm trying to develop a formula that cross references information between three spreadsheets and counts it if it meets the given criteria. The sheets are Genre, Movies, and Ratings. Genre consists of an itemized list of movie genres. The Movies tab is a copied CSV consisting of movie ID numbers, movie names, and the genre category the movies are given. The genre category contains between one and ten categories in a single cell separated with a vertical bar. The Ratings tab is a copied CSV consisting of user ID (a unique ID given to the consumer who rated the movie), movie ID number, and the rating for the movie. What I want to do is determine which user ID rated the most movies of a given genre and display the results in Genre column D, but I don't know how to cross reference the sheets to accomplish this. I know I need to refer to Genre!A2 for the given genre, search Movies!C:C for the genre I'm looking for, look at Movies!A:A to find the movie ID that has the genre I'm looking for, then look at Ratings!B:B for that movie ID and count which user ID appears the most. I've included a link to a shared file (if your platform will allow it).

DataTestLink

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back