Counting Between Two Cells

Pinkyknip

Example:

Cell A1 value = Tom

Cell A2 is empty

Cell A3 value = Mary

Cell A4 is empty

Cell A5 value = Steve

In B1 I'd like to count how many names appear BETWEEN "Tom" and "Steve" and disregard the empty cells. I would NOT want to include "Tom" or "Steve".

With this example the result should be the number "1" as "Mary" is the only name between "Tom" and "Steve" and the empty cells would not be counted.

I hope my question is clear.

Some background work I've done:

I've been able to find out how to count the number of cells between two cells with data with an =abs(match()) formula, but I cannot find a way to eliminate any blank cells from that formula.

I thank you in advance for any assistance!!!

=COUNTIF(INDEX(A:A,MATCH("header",A:A,0)):INDEX(A:A,MATCH("footer",A:A,0)),"?*")

Nice Aladin.

I went with COUNTIF in the initial formula I put together, but I'd forgotten about the ?* or *? (does it matter which way around you do it - I think not?) argument, hence it was abandoned for what I actually posted.

Matty

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hello Aladin,

Your formula seems to work as well with the exception that it also counts the header and the footer portion in the calculation. I did not want to include them, just wanted the information between them. A simple -2 on the end of the formula that you suggest will produce my desired results.

Matty,

To answer your question about the formula I *was* using, I was simply using in Sheet 2 an =Sheet1A1! type formula, but if Sheet1 cell A1 was blank your formula would still count it on Sheet 2. Changing the Formula to =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) to force it to produce the "" has provided me with working results.

To both of you,

Again, your help is much appreciated. It's good people like you that help mediocre Excel users like myself look good at work!

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back