Counting Cells

ammdumas

I have a column of text where I want to count the total of cells that have data in it (i.e. 20 cells with one blank cell...total = 19).

I used the COUNTA formula which worked, but the moment I deleted one of the cells being counted, the count total didn't update at the bottom.

Is there an easy way to update the count total, or is the answer something stupid like the cell needs to be general vs text, etc?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Do you have manual recalculation turned on? I tried your example and as soon as I deleted the text in a cell, the COUNTA updated.

Upvote 0
Funny. Never heard of that. Guess it's always been turned on because I've never had problems until now. Where would I do that?

Upvote 0
Never mind. Figured it out. But new problem. In the case of a user using this spreadsheet, I noticed that if you use the space bar to delete whatever was in that cell, the count does not update. The formula seems to read the spaces as "Something" as opposed to "Nothing" and therefore counts it. I know we have idiot facot rhere but is there some way (i.e. conditional formatting) of excluding the spaces when the formula counts that field? I suppose I could disable the ASCII character in a macros but that seems a little much. Is there an easier way?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back