Create hyperlink automatically from cell text value to corresponding file name on server

Lars81

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to create a Macro that will automatically create dynamic hyperlink for every cell that have a text value that is corresponding to a file name in a main forder or its sub folder?

1645731992937.png

All my electronic files are stored on a server, in a main folder with many subfolders depending of the type of information.

Let’s take E1 for example (rapport1.pdf)
Right now, I’m creating the hyperlink manually: ../../A_DOCUMENTS\08_rapport\rapport1.pdf

But I would like a Macro that create the hyperlink automatically to the corresponding document if it find the text written in any cell of the worksheet as the name of a document in any subfolder of A_DOCUMENTS.

Any idea

Thanks

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
What do you mean by creating the hyperlink automatically? Do you mean that when you enter a text value in a cell a macro would immediately look for that cell value in the A_DOCUMENTS folder tree and create a hyperlink to the corresponding file? This could be done via the Worksheet_Change event handler. Or do you want to run a macro that would loop through all the cells and create hyperlinks to the files it finds?

Either way, one fairly fast method of searching the A_DOCUMENTS folder tree for a specific file is with a DIR /S command. I used this method here:

A faster method would be to create an array of all the files in the A_DOCUMENTS folder tree, running the DIR /S command only once, and search the array for the required file.

Upvote 0
Hi John, I'll try to explain what I'm trying to do. When I say that I want the macro to create the hyperlink automatically, I mean that I’m looking for a way to run a macro that will create the hyperlink for every cell that contain a file name with its extension to the corresponding file or document stored in a specific folder and its sub folder.

I have thousands of file name with its extension already written as text in different column of my worksheet. Right now, I insert manually the hyperlink to the corresponding file one cell at a time, which is very time consuming (right click on the cell, insert hyperlink and link it to the specific document). I want to be able to access the document when I click on a specific cell of my worksheet. Let say that I have 10,000 cell to link manually to the corresponding document, that is going to take me weeks to do it manually. I'm wondering if all the hyperlink could be created in one simple step, run a macro, have all the cell with a file name written turn blue and allow me to click on them to open the document…

Thank you very much for your help!

Upvote 0
OK, I understand; you want to run a macro manually as needed that will look at all the cells and create hyperlinks in the cells containing file names.

With 10,000 cells to create hyperlinks in the first method I envisaged would be quite slow because it would run a DIR /S command of the A_DOCUMENTS folder tree for every file name.

Here is the second method, which runs a single DIR /S command on the A_DOCUMENTS folder tree, but made faster by using a binary search of a sorted ArrayList structure.

The whole macro consists of 1 standard module and 2 class modules. You must set a reference to mscorlib.dll - on my machine this is C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.tlb - via Tools -> References in the VBA editor.

Standard module - edit the mainFolder string where shown to be the path to the A_DOCUMENTS folder.
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

'References required
'mscorlib.dll (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.tlb)

Public Sub Find_Files_Create_Hyperlinks()

Dim mainFolder As String
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim filesArrayList As mscorlib.ArrayList
    Dim fileFoundIndex As Long
    Dim file As clsFile
    Dim fileComparer As clsFileComparer

mainFolder = "../../A_DOCUMENTS\"    'PATH TO A_DOCUMENTS FOLDER - EDIT AS REQUIRED"

'Get listing of all files in main folder and its subfolders and put into an ArrayList.
    'Each ArrayList item is a clsFile object which has separate properties for the file name and folder path, so that just the file name part can be searched

Set filesArrayList = New mscorlib.ArrayList
    Get_Files_In_Folder mainFolder, filesArrayList

'Sort the ArrayList in ascending order of file name, for fast searching using BinarySearch_3 method below

'https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.collections.arraylist.sort?view=net-6.0
    'ArrayList.Sort(IComparer)
    'Sorts the elements in the entire ArrayList using the specified comparer.

Set fileComparer = New clsFileComparer
    filesArrayList.Sort_2 fileComparer

Set file = New clsFile

For Each cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange

If InStr(cell.Value, ".") Then

'Put this cell's value (the file name being sought) in a clsFile structure and search for it in filesArrayList using a binary search

file.fileName = cell.Value
            file.folderPath = ""

'https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.collections.arraylist.binarysearch?view=net-6.0
            'ArrayList.BinarySearch(Object, IComparer)
            'Searches the entire sorted ArrayList for an element using the specified comparer and returns the zero-based index of the element.
            'Returns:
            'The zero-based index of value in the sorted ArrayList, if value is found; otherwise, a negative number, which is the bitwise complement of the
            'index of the next element that is larger than value or, if there is no larger element, the bitwise complement of Count.

fileFoundIndex = filesArrayList.BinarySearch_3(file, fileComparer)

If fileFoundIndex >= 0 Then
                Set file = filesArrayList(fileFoundIndex)
                cell.Worksheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=cell, Address:=file.folderPath & file.fileName, TextToDisplay:=cell.Value
            Else
                'file not found
            End If

End If

Next

End Sub

Private Sub Get_Files_In_Folder(folderPath As String, filesArrayList As mscorlib.ArrayList)

Dim WSh As Object   'WshShell
    Dim command As String
    Dim files As Variant
    Dim file As clsFile
    Dim i As Long, p As Long

Set WSh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")                'New WshShell

'Get list of all files in specified folder and its subfolders

command = "cmd /c DIR /S /B " & Chr(34) & folderPath & Chr(34)
    files = Split(WSh.Exec(command).StdOut.ReadAll, vbCrLf)

'Put the files in an ArrayList.  Each file item is a clsFile object

For i = 0 To UBound(files) - 1
        p = InStrRev(files(i), "\")
        Set file = New clsFile
        file.fileName = Mid(files(i), p + 1)
        file.folderPath = Left(files(i), p)
        filesArrayList.Add file
    Next

End Sub

Class module, renamed as clsFile
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Public fileName As String
Public folderPath As String

Class module, renamed as clsFileComparer
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Implements mscorlib.IComparer

'Compare the fileName string property of two clsFile objects
'Returns:
'   -1      file1.fileName is less than file2.fileName
'   0       file1.fileName is equal to file2.fileName
'   1       file1.fileName is greater than file2.fileName

Private Function IComparer_Compare(ByVal file1 As Variant, ByVal file2 As Variant) As Long
    IComparer_Compare = StrComp(file1.fileName, file2.fileName, vbTextCompare)
End Function

Private Sub IComparer_TypeCheck(ByVal CurrentVarType As VbVarType, Example As Variant)
    'This second interface callback routine is not used
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinneytwin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back