Creating a list from a large sample size

emde84

Hi,

I have a class of 100 students. I need to stat the attendance for each day. Some days I will get 20 kids, some days I will get 10 kids.

Currently I have to search through each of the kids names and input a 1 on that day so that it tallies up at the end of the term.. it takes too long.

What I'm trying to do is set up a search box or predictive text so that I can just search the kids name on the day they attended and input that into a list on that day and use the countif formula with the table aray being the list of attendees so that it can be inputted on a master sheet. I've used combo boxes but that doesnt seem to be the most effective way of making a list of attendees.

Help please

:)

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
how about using a multiselect listbox. tick the attendees in 1 go and submit

Upvote 0
We have a list of 100 names which have some different kinds of spelling. What I'm trying to do is have a list of attendees for each day (aprox. 10-20 kids) ensuring the spelling is the same across all days so that I can use the countif formula. I have tried to use a dropdown list with the names in alphabetical order, but a list of 100 seems a little too much. Im trying to avoid going through and putting a 1 next the attendees as its too time consuming.

Upvote 0
is there a master student list. or do you type in their names every day. why are there multiple spellings?

Upvote 0
There is a master list but students just fill out an attendance form in pen. I have to input the data myself. There arent multiple spellings, but if there were a mistake when inputting the data, the countif formula wont work. there are 3 other staff that will be using this spreadsheet.

Upvote 0
what exactly do you currently input?
is it
Name - "1"

or is there a list of names and you input a 1 in today's column

Upvote 0
Yeah, I currently input 1 next to their name in the respective day.
As there are only aprox. 10-20 kids per day out of 100 kids, My thoughts were to just create a list of names fot that day and use a countif formula to add the data into the master list/calendar; as opposed to going through the 100 names each time to input a "1" in the names. takes too long

Upvote 0
at some point you need to select the names from your master list even if it is to create your smaller list for the day. my suggestion is to populate a listbox with all the names (or 2-3 listboxes in alphabetical groups) and just click on those present. that can then be assigned to todays column and the sheet can tally as it goes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back