Creating a log that populates a name in a cell if a specific number is in another cell

QueenQ

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all!

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to create what I thought was a simple spreadsheet for our company's contracted tow roster.

We have 4 towing companies. Each time a vehicle is towed, the next company on the roster gets to tow the next vehicle and so on until all 4 have towed a vehicle, then it starts all over again.

On the 2nd tab of my log, I've created a table listing each company numbered 1 through 4 from which tab 2 can pull to populate into column F.

I want the log to auto-populate in column F the name of the next tow company simply by the user typing a number 1 - 4 in column A.

What would be even greater is if the log could prevent back-to-back duplicate entries for a specific tow company to force the user to choose the next company in line. I hope this makes sense and is actually feasible.

Please, any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Thanks for your time! Have an awesome day!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Help me understand,

Couldn't you put a formula in column "A" that sequences 1-4 and then your sheet automatically populates the correct company name with a lookup?
Or am I not understanding?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for your help! Yes, I presently have a formula in place that automatically generates a number in column A if a Case# is written in column B "=SEQUENCE(COUNTA(B$5:B$32))" but I'd like it if this formula could also only number 1-4 then repeat. I also have a VLookup in place that automatically inputs the company name in cell F when a number pops up in cell A. I'm guessing my formula can't do both match number to company and sequence only from 1-4? Sorry, I'm pretty new to Excel.

Upvote 0
If you want the sequence from 1-4 you can use this:
Just paste it into your first cell.

Excel Formula:
=MOD(ROW(A1)-1,4)+1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back