Creating a relationship between several columns

hudg16

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I am trying to attach several columns in one table to one column in another.

Here on the "Accessory" table, we can have up to 3 devices, in the three columns.
Device TypeDevice Type2Device Type3
IPHONE 6S+IPHONE 7+IPHONE 8+
IPHONE 12IPHONE 12PRO
IPHONE 12IPHONE 12PRO
IPHONE 12IPHONE 12PRO
IPHONE 12PRMX

On the device table, I only have one device.
Device Out
IPHONE 12
IPHONE 12PRMX
IPHONE 12PRO

I want to it to be so that, if you select an iphone 12 in the device table is linked to an iphone 12 in the accessory table. Or an IPHONE 12PRO to IPHONE12PRO. My previous solution to this was transposing the devices, but this duplicated, and tripled the quantity of accessories I had (since each row is an accessory, with its associated device), with a single row of Device Type in the accessory table.

I understand I should be using some form of merged column for the accessory table, but I am lost on how I can then create this relationship to the device table properly.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I would start by unpivoting your Accessory table to two columns: Device Type (1 2 or 3) and name of device. You will then be able to create the relationship between single columns.

Upvote 0
I would start by unpivoting your Accessory table to two columns: Device Type (1 2 or 3) and name of device. You will then be able to create the relationship between single columns.
Would this 1) also not double and triple the accessory in that given row, and 2) create issues since you can only have one active relationship at a time? I'm a bit dense on these things.

Upvote 0
Would this 1) also not double and triple the accessory in that given row, and 2) create issues since you can only have one active relationship at a time? I'm a bit dense on these things.
To give context the accessory table comes from a larger -- OTTERBOX CASE IPHONE 6+/7+/8+, QUANTITY, SALES, etc. The device names are just parsed from that but still need to remain attached to the quantity and other values.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back