Creating Relationships

susjoe3

I'm new to PowerPivot and am trying to create relationships within multiple tables. When I create the relationships, it allows me to do so but warns me that they cannot be created in the order requested. Does this matter? It appears to me that it does as I am missing some records from one of the table in my pivot table.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Usually this is because when it creates a relationship one of the tables must have unique records i.e. no repetititions. When you create a relationship if you put them in the boxes the wrong way round powerpivot will automatically switch them and you get this message. To check what it has done go to the powerpivot window menu bar/design/manage relationships whee it wil list your relationships. The "related lookup table" is the one that contains unqiue data and is being looked up from.

Mike

Upvote 0
Susjoe3,

Also, the direction of the relationship matters (which can be seen in the diagram view which the arrow pointing at the 'lookup' table). When using DAX, filtering can propagate by default from the lookup table to the non-lookup (or base) table. Is important to keep this in mind when creating measures that use fields from multiple tables. I wrote a blog entry with a more detailed description of this behavior here:

Working with relationships in PowerPivot & SSAS BISM Tabular « Javier Guillén

Javier Guillen
Senior Consultant, Mariner
Email: javier.guillen@mariner-usa.com
PowerPivot Blog: http://javierguillen.wordpress.com
Twitter: @javiguillen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back