Custom Column w/ value from Column, Repeating

TheMacroNoob

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello experts,

I've had this issue in the past and I never figured out how to solve it. I have a value that is always going to be in "Column2", Row 2.
1695849094940.png

How do I create a Custom Column that fetches the value containing "Time Period" from "Column2" and repeats it for all rows in the table? Or, if easier, grabs the value in row 2 of "Column2" and repeats that value for every row in the table?

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Here ya go:
Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type any}, {"Column2", type text}}),
    #"Added Time Period" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Time Period", each if Text.Contains([Column2],"Time Period", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase) then Text.AfterDelimiter([Column2],"Time Period: ") else null, type text),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Time Period",{"Time Period"})
in
    #"Filled Down"

Upvote 1
Here ya go:
Power Query:
let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type any}, {"Column2", type text}}),
    #"Added Time Period" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Time Period", each if Text.Contains([Column2],"Time Period", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase) then Text.AfterDelimiter([Column2],"Time Period: ") else null, type text),
in
    #"Filled Down"
I totally forgot about the FillDown feature!

Unfortunately I am getting this error:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Logical.
Details:
Value=
Type=[Type]

So the filldown breaks after the first null. Any ideas why that might be occurring?

Upvote 0
Oh, I think you might need to include a if the cell starts as null then null. So update it to this:
Power Query:
let
    #"Added Time Period" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Time Period", each if [Column2] = null then null else if Text.Contains([Column2],"Time Period", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase) then Text.AfterDelimiter([Column2],"Time Period: ") else null, type text),
in
    #"Filled Down"

Upvote 1
Solution
Oh, I think you might need to include a if the cell starts as null then null. So update it to this:
Power Query:
let
    #"Added Time Period" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Time Period", each if [Column2] = null then null else if Text.Contains([Column2],"Time Period", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase) then Text.AfterDelimiter([Column2],"Time Period: ") else null, type text),
in
    #"Filled Down"
That works very well, thank you very much for your insight! Super excited to use this moving forward.

Tangent to whoever happens across this in the future:
My next problem was promoting headers after removing top n rows.... Since I wanted to apply transformation to all files within a folder, the column would be named a specific file's date and then break.

To circumvent this, I found a solution that shifts the column down, through magic:

Power Query:
    #"Added Time Period" = Table.AddColumn(Sheet2, "Date", each if [Column2] = null then null else if Text.Contains([Column2],"Time Period: ") then Text.AfterDelimiter([Column2],"- ") else null, type date),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Time Period",{"Date"}),
    #"Remove Top Rows" = Table.Skip(#"Filled Down", each [Column4] <> "ID"),
    #"Source Without Date" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Remove Top Rows",{"Date"}),
    ShiftedList = {"Date"} & List.RemoveLastN(Table.Column(#"Remove Top Rows", "Date"),1),
    TableToList = Table.ToColumns(#"Source Without Date") & {ShiftedList},
    TableFromList = Table.FromColumns(TableToList, Table.ColumnNames(#"Source Without Date") & {"Date1"}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(TableFromList, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),

If you happen to know a simpler way this could have been done, great, but otherwise, thanks again for your assistance!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back