Custom Formula Question

andrnick7

Hey peeps,
I just have a quick question and I know this is going to sound ridiculously simple and I apologize if it is - I'm a bit new to Excel formulas. My question is this: I'm trying to create a formula that takes into account a certain price, adds fees (percentages + fixed fees + taxes) to that price, and then marks up that sum by 50%. Then, in another cell, I'd like to compare that price to the selling price and calculate the profit margin.

This is what I've done so far: Screenshot by Lightshot. Here's a breakdown:
  • 1st cell: Retail Price
  • 2nd cell: Wholesale Price
  • 3rd cell: Adding Fees (=J2*0.129-0.3 (Second cell, multiplied by 12.9% and I probably should've added the 0.30 cents as it's a fixed fee)
  • 4th cell: Total Cost (=K2+J2) (The fees + the wholesale price)
  • 5th cell: Difference from retail to wholesale + costs (=I2-L2)
  • 6th cell: Do a 50% markup on the wholesale + fees price =((1.5*J2)+K2)
  • 7th cell: Determine Profit Margins: (=(M2/I2)*100) (Profit potential/selling price * 100)

I know the format is a bit wonky. It should be: Retail Price, Wholesale Price, Fees, Total Cost, Profit Margins, 50% markup, and difference from retail. But I'm specifically putting the profit margins at the end of the evaluation.

Is there anyway I can condense my steps into fewer cells with a more complex formula? Is this efficient?

Thank you for your time and I hope this serves as a lesson for me and others on here. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me with my problem.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
One last question, sorry to be a pest. On the "Total Cost" Row, you have the formula at: =(((1.5*B2)+(B2*0.129+0.3)))-(((((1.5*B2)+(B2*0.129+0.3)))*(0.0825))). Should it be instead: =(((1.5*B2)+(B2*0.129+0.3)))+(((((1.5*B2)+(B2*0.129+0.3)))*(0.0825)))

Rather than subtracting, you add. I wondered why the total cost with a 8.25% tax added would make it cheaper than the sale price that is marked up 50%. Could you help clarify this?

Upvote 0
i just used your formula
in E
you have
=A2-D2
NOTE the -
Also in I2 you have a - see below

in D2 you have =C2+B2
so replace D2 with the above

=A2-D2 becomes =A2-(C2+B2)

In C2 you have
=B2*0.129+0.3

so replace C2 with =A2-(C2+B2)
becomes
=A2-((B2*0.129+0.3)+B2)

I have not looked at the maths - just substituted all your formulas , and checked they give the same answer on each column

Is your row 2 - correct
you have A2 as 12.95
you have I2 as 12.23
Cheaper
if so then the substitution is giving the exact same answers in the rows i showed

as i say I did not check the logic or maths , just reproduced your rows

in I2 you have
=F2-H2
and IF that should be =F2+H2
then
=(((1.5*B2)+(B2*0.129+0.3)))+(((((1.5*B2)+(B2*0.129+0.3)))*(0.0825)))
which is 14.43

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you so much, Etaf! You're right, it was the logic that was off. Thank you for expounding on it and confirming it for me :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back