Data Labels bar chart - inside end if negative and outside end if positive

Effay013

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I need help with a bar chart. Need the data labels to position on the basis of values - negative values inside end and positive values outside end. Also note that I am picking data label values from cells.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
This is an example of a conditionally formatted chart. Charts don't do conditional formatting, of course, but you can easily fake it, as I describe in my tutorial Conditional Formatting of Excel Charts.

My dummy data is below. I have extracted positive and negative values from column C to columns D and E using the simple formulas shown below the data. I selected B2:B7 then held Ctrl while also selecting D2:E7, and I inserted a clustered column chart (works with a bar chart also). I changed the overlap to 100%. (A stacked column chart has the overlap set to 100% by default, but it doesn't allow outside end data labels.)

I added my data labels, and positioned them outside or inside end. If you want the bars to look the same, you can apply the same color to both sets.

ConditionalColumnChartLabels.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back