Data Model - Want the Slicer to list whatever is selected into a cell

sabellcyclist876

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a complex data model with many data sources all linked together quite well, but some of the arrays need to reference the text of what I'm selecting in the slicer. I know I've done it before, but it's been years. Any ideas how I can copy the text of what's selected on the slicers into an Excel? Thank you!

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
I think this might be what you are after:
Dynamic Chart Title with Slicers - Excel University

Essentially you create a Helper Pivot Table which uses the same slicer and displays the selection criteria summarised as say the columns of the helper pivot table.
If you have O365 you can just use TextJoin on the row, to put all the selected items into a cell. eg =TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,23:23)
Your profile indicates you may not have textjoin, Jeff Lenning's article also provides the Concatenate version which is quite a bit longer. eg =SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(CONCATENATE(B23,” “,C23,” “,D23,” “,E23)),” “,”, “)

Upvote 0
I think this might be what you are after:
Dynamic Chart Title with Slicers - Excel University

Essentially you create a Helper Pivot Table which uses the same slicer and displays the selection criteria summarised as say the columns of the helper pivot table.
If you have O365 you can just use TextJoin on the row, to put all the selected items into a cell. eg =TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,23:23)
Your profile indicates you may not have textjoin, Jeff Lenning's article also provides the Concatenate version which is quite a bit longer. eg =SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(CONCATENATE(B23,” “,C23,” “,D23,” “,E23)),” “,”, “)
Thanks, that works amazingly! What do I do if I want to be able to have it filter on one specific thing or All? In a normal pivot, it would just say "All" on top, but I'm not sure how to handle it in this case.

Upvote 0
In a slicer clicking the little filter button normally clears the filter and selects all.
To select one thing is just clicking the one thing in the slicer.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back