Data Query + Table + Bi-Directional Sync

cscotty

Hello All.

I have an issue that I hope you can help with please :).

Question
Let me ask the question first, then I'll explain: Is it possible to set up a bi-directional sync between two tables using data query (or any other functionality)?

Problem
I have a main workbook (WB1) with a sheet that has a table (TB1) consisting of data. I created a new workbook (WB2), and used data query to create a new sheet in WB2 that consists of the table and data in WB1. This new table in WB2 is named TB2. When I edit data in TB1 and run the query, it synchronizes over to TB2, as expected. This works perfectly. However, when I edit TB2, the data does not synchronize over to TB1. I understand that I have not configured the query to do so, so technically it's working as expected.

This is where my question above comes in. Is it possible to set up a bi-directional sync between TB1 and TB2 using data query (or any other functionality)? I would like the table with the latest saved data to synchronize to the other table upon running the query, whether its TB1->TB2 or TB2->TB1.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
I pressed the like by mistake ?
I sounds like a crazy idea. Reminds a bit of database replication, but with a twist of wrongness in it.
I can think of too many ways for this to go wrong.
Why cannot you directly edit TB1 ?
The queries are not bi directional.
And in my mind two sets results of each other are an infinite loop.

Upvote 0
I pressed the like by mistake ?
I sounds like a crazy idea. Reminds a bit of database replication, but with a twist of wrongness in it.
I can think of too many ways for this to go wrong.
Why cannot you directly edit TB1 ?
The queries are not bi directional.
And in my mind two sets results of each other are an infinite loop.
Thanks for the comments.

Ideally, I have a table (TB1) in WB1 with rows that describe an assignment that needs to be done. The last two columns of the table is "Assignee" and "Comment". I insert the assignee name in TB1, but leave comment blank. Then I run the data query and synchronize all values in TB1 to WB2, TB2. When the assignee opens WB2, they will see their assignment in TB2. They will then enter comments based on their assignment (comments will be required for every row) in TB2. I would like the comments that the assignee enters in TB2 to synchronize over to WB1, TB1.

Any chance of that happening?

Upvote 0
Vba to write it back to tb1.
But not another query.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back