Data Validation Based On Distinct Range

will78

Hi all,

First posting on here and I would really appreciate your help.

I have a list of data with repeated values stored in a dynamic range. The range needs to be dynamic because the range may increase later and there may be new values introduced. I want to use a data validation drop down box elsewhere in the workbook for the purposes driving some reports.

Now, I can do most of this without issue. However, I need the dropdown to display only DISTINCT records from the dynamic range. Can I do this without creating another dynamic range just to feed the dropdown? It would be nice not to have to update the data in two places.

I have so far creating a working dynamic range and a dropdown looking at this range, but of course it repeats the values as they repeat in the range.

I hope this makes sense. Do you need me to post my workbook?

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Will

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Can I do this without creating another dynamic range just to feed the dropdown?
You could populate a different range by formulas, to get distinct names from your current dynamic range.

An example of a distinct value formula is this array formula ... entered using Ctrl-Shift-Enter instead of Enter:
Code:
=IF(NOT(ISNA(MATCH(0,COUNTIF($B$1:B1,Source_List),0))),INDEX(Source_List,MATCH(0,COUNTIF($B$1:B1,Source_List),0)),"")
... entered in cell B2 in this case. Excel will put curly brackets around the formula when you've entered it, to signify that it's an array formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back