Data validation... Help needed!

pthdz

Hello,

I'm making an excel database with email adresses and phone numbers. I wish to receive an error alert whenever a phone number has already been put in the database.
For this, I use these steps:

Select cells (A2 until A20, for example).
Go to datavalidation -> select custom
use this formula: =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$20,A2)=1
It then prompts me I can not use '=' so I delete the equal sign (is this normal?)
I test the first cell and any number or value I typ in, it gives me an error alert.

I do not understand what is going wrong. I tried installing an older version of excel because I thought it might be some bug, but it's the same result... I use Office 2010 atm.

Help pls!

Regards,

pthdz

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
so it accepts simpler formula =A2>A1 without giving an error message

now that you have successfully entered the formula does that data validation work ?

Upvote 0
]I've PM'd Aladin, maybe he can chime in with the correct Dutch syntax. I think it's not spelled the same and may use ; instead of ,

Upvote 0
Good idea Brian If Aldadin can't get this one then it must be truly obscure

as pthdz has been able to enter a simple formula starting with an = equals sign , the next thing I was going to suggest was to test more complex formulas (but not countifs) eg = mod(a2,5) = 1

I'm looking forward to the answer becuase its got me stumped

Upvote 0
hi,

@ PTHDZ, In Data Validation, Just remove first = symbol and enter the formula :
Eg: Countif($A$2:$A$10,A2)=1

Upvote 0
hi,

@ PTHDZ, In Data Validation, Just remove first = symbol and enter the formula :
Eg: Countif($A$2:$A$10,A2)=1

formula with equals sign works for me but formula without equals doesnt

Applying the =COUNTIF(G$2:G$10,G2) = 1 (ie with = sign) to G2:g10 results in g2 validation is =COUNTIF(G$2:G$10,G2) = 1 , the validation in g3 is =COUNTIF(G$2:G$10,G3) = 1 and so on to g10 =COUNTIF(G$2:G$10,G10) = 1
Using this "with equals" validation in my worksheet successfully prevents duplicate entries

formula w/o = in E e2 formula is COUNTIF(E$2:E$10,E2)=1 , e3 formula is also COUNTIF(E$2:E$10,E2)=1 and so on to E10 COUNTIF(E$2:E$10,E2)=1
when I enter a numeric value in the first cell E2 THE "value you entered is not valid. A user has restricted values that can be entered into this cell " message comes up

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replys!

@liveinhope: I can succesfully enter the simple formula =A2>A1 and the validation works. The "more complex formula" = mod(a2,5) = 1 will not work. I tried entering the formula in cell A2 and in the range of A2 to A5 (I'm not sure if this is how that one works?)
@mmmarks: I can enter the formula without the equals sign (=), but it doesn't work. Any value I enter in either one of the A-cells gives me the same error as liveinhope described above this post.
@Brian from Maui: I can succesfully enter the formula using (; ) instead of (,). It then looks like this =COUNTIF(G$2:G$10;G2) = 1. The problem, sadly enough, does remain. Any value I enter in Cell G2 to G10 gives me the same error.

I was thinking, maybe someone could send me an Excel file already made up with the type of data validation i'm looking for, so I can open it on my pc and see if that works. Good idea? :)

Thanks again for your time!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Brian from Maui (and I assume Aladin?), you're my hero(es)! It works!

I can't express how thankfull I am.

Don't matter the time difference, it is how it is :)

To everybody who took time to help me out, I want to thank you with all my heart!

I'm gonna look into getting me an english version of Office so this problem never occurs again...

Keep up the good work!

Sincere regards,

pthdz

Upvote 0
Well thats my "learn something new every day" for today. I didnt realise that comma was not a universal separator . (your post that the =MOD(A2,5) =1 didnt wrok either was a good clue along those lines

pthdz now that you know to use ; instead of , in your Dutch version you should be right .re your request to attatch a simple file illustrating this COUNTIF validation at work I'm not sure how to do that

Brian from Maui - are you able to do that ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back