Data Validation List - Auto update cell values with a twist

Fritz23

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I know this question has been asked all over the web, but I have a unique case that hasn't been referenced elsewhere from the research I've done and could use some expertise.

I have a spreadsheet based on the data/columns below. The idea is to allow an individual to build an initial schedule based on various actions items, but the primary dates/anchors are based on events (i.e. build the initial schedule, and then use the built schedule to produce dates when this scenario of events and action items need to be run again).

When someone chooses "Event" from the Type drop-down/DV list, they then enter an event name in Column B (Event Name), and the date in Column E (Date). They can then reference that event in Column C (Connected Event) which is another DV list that reads from a helper sheet - the helper sheet does a VLOOKUP for all rows with the Event type, and the concatenates the event name and date. They can then enter a negative or positive number for other actions/rows under Column D (Days Before/After) which will automatically calculate the date of that action item.

I have a named range that I'm using to produce the DV List for the Connected Event column.

The problem is that event dates will shift, and DV lists don't automatically update cell values, meaning that the date calculations won't automatically update, requiring the user to manually update the Column C's connected events to calculate the new values. I've seen some VBA references to auto-update the cell values, but these all assume that the original DV list is being manually updated by a user, and isn't being produced by formulas..

In my case, the DV list is produced dynamically through the named range, and the following formula in column C of the helper sheet:
Excel Formula:
=IF(A1="","",CONCAT(A1,", ",TEXT(B1,"mm/dd/yyyy")))

I have not found any examples of how to detect a value change and then have the DV List cell values also update automatically. I am open to any/all suggestions.

Type (DV List)Event NameConnected Event (DV List)Days Before/AfterDate
EventSome Event
1/1/2023​
EventSome Other Event
7/15/2023​
Some ActionSome Other Event - 7/15/2023
2​
7/17/2023​

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
In case anyone else has a similar issue, I ended up with the following VBA which gets the job done. This is obviously specific to my use case and formula cells, but I've included some comments for background:

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim keyCells As Range
    Dim oldEventValue As String
    Dim newEventValue As String

Set keyCells = Range("_EventDates"): Rem cell with formula

'The below checks for direct precendents of the columns that need to be monitored for changes since it's the parent column being monitored for changes, which is based on a formula
    Set keyCells = Application.Union(keyCells, keyCells.DirectPrecedents)

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

'In my case, I was only looking for changes in column 4 or 8, which ultmimately would modify column 10 since column 10 was a fomula column combining column 4 and 8
    If ((Not Application.Intersect(Target, keyCells) Is Nothing) And ((Target.Column = 4) Or (Target.Column = 8))) Then

oldEventValue = Cells(Target.Row, 10).Text

Application.CalculateFull

newEventValue = Cells(Target.Row, 10).Text

Sheets("Schedule").Range("F2:F2000").Replace What:=oldEventValue, Replacement:=newEventValue

End If

Application.CalculateFull

ErrorExit:

Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:

Debug.Print Err.Number & vbNewLine & Err.Description
    Resume ErrorExit

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back