Data Validation List - Not Including Blanks

jbodel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a data Validation List that is based off another cell. If that one cell says A it will list all the services listed for A, but if they select B, it will list all the services for B. The list is alphabetized, and some services might be used with multiple different selections. Right now when you select that Cell (A) it will have a list but have a long scroll where there are blanks. Is there a way to avoid that?

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Please consider this. Multiple Criteria can be used in the Filter Function. See where I filtered for Letter B AND for Numbers that weren't blank. Your criteria's must be surrounded by parenthesis to work.

Book1
HIJK
6FilterLettersNumbers
710A1
811B10
913A2
10B11
11C
12B
13A3
14B13
15C23
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
H7:H9H7=FILTER(K7:K15,(J7:J15="B")*(K7:K15<>""),"")
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your help. I am not sure I explained it correctly. So in the example, if they select A, the drop down would show everything marked with a yes (but listing the services). So anything listed with a NO would not be listed and there would be no spaces. Does that make more sense?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
Well it would have been nice for you to lead with that. I can help you. Is there any way you can post that using XL2BB so I don't have to type it out?

Upvote 0
I can, but it might be a bit. Using my work computer and they don't allow any downloads. Let me transfer to my personal computer. Sorry about the missed information. Thanks in advance for any help I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Not sure where you want your actual data validation list to appear, but does this give you what you want? When you select A, B or C in cell A6, the filtered services will appear in A7, and the data validation list in cell A2 will change accordingly. Don't know how many services you'll have listed, I allowed for 95 - increase if needed.

Book1
ABCDE
1Data Validation List Below
5SelectionServiceABC
6AChecking AccountYesYesNo
7Checking AccountSavings AccountYesNoNo
8Savings AccountCDYesNoNo
9CDLoanYesYesNo
10LoanCommercial Checking AccountNoNoNo
11Credit Card
12Debit CardKids Checking AccountNoNoNo
13Home Equity LoanNoNoNo
14Credit CardYesNoYes
15Debit CardYesNoYes
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A7:A12A7=CHOOSECOLS(FILTER(B6:E100,(B6:B100<>"")*(OFFSET(B5,1,MATCH(A6,C5:E5,0),95,1)="Yes")),1)
Dynamic array formulas.
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
A6List=$C$5:$E$5
A2List=$A$7#

Upvote 0
Kevin

I have to admit that it looks like what you wrote is going to work and I have tried to re-create it. I am not 100% an excel expert by any means, but I am a bit confused when you when you in your instructions said Range (A78:A12) Where do I Put that and how? I have tried to do everything else, but not getting it to work.

Jeffrey - I also want to thank you as well. I unfortunately could not get that XL2BB to download. Again sorry not super techie either.

Apologize to both of you for the delay in responding. Busy weekend. Thank you in advance.

Not sure where you want your actual data validation list to appear, but does this give you what you want? When you select A, B or C in cell A6, the filtered services will appear in A7, and the data validation list in cell A2 will change accordingly. Don't know how many services you'll have listed, I allowed for 95 - increase if needed.

Book1
ABCDE
5SelectionServiceABC
9CDLoanYesYesNo
11Credit Card
13Home Equity LoanNoNoNo
14Credit CardYesNoYes
15Debit CardYesNoYes
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A7:A12A7=CHOOSECOLS(FILTER(B6:E100,(B6:B100<>"")*(OFFSET(B5,1,MATCH(A6,C5:E5,0),95,1)="Yes")),1)
Dynamic array formulas.
CellAllowCriteria
A2List=$A$7#

Book1
ABCDE
5SelectionServiceABC
9CDLoanYesYesNo
11Credit Card
13Home Equity LoanNoNoNo
14Credit CardYesNoYes
15Debit CardYesNoYes
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
Dynamic array formulas.
CellAllowCriteria
A2List=$A$7#

Upvote 0
Sorry but - where did I say that?

When you gave the instructions under the spreadsheet you said Cell Formula's. Range - Formula. You gave the formula that I need to put in cell A7, but what about the Range that you reference to the left? That is where I am struggling.

Upvote 0
When you gave the instructions under the spreadsheet you said Cell Formula's. Range - Formula. You gave the formula that I need to put in cell A7, but what about the Range that you reference to the left? That is where I am struggling.
Sorry I referenced (A78:A12). I meant to say A7:A12

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back