Data validation list without range reference

RandomizerTX

Hello everyone:

Column A contains numeric values. I need Cells in Column B to have a dropdown validation lists that allow selection of the positive or negative of the value in the adjacent Cell in Column A. So for example, if $A$1 contains 445, then the dropdown list for $B$1 should offer the options of 445 and -445.

Can I generate these pairs of choices without VBA and without having to store the two values elsewhere in the worksheet?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.

onlyadrafter

Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

If A1=445 then in B1, select DATA, VALIDATION, in Settings, select Custom and in the Formula, enter the following:

=OR(B1=A1,B1=A1*-1)

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I need Cells in Column B to have a dropdown ....

Can I generate these pairs of choices without VBA and without having to store the two values elsewhere in the worksheet?
Hope I am proved wrong, but I don't think so.

onlyadrafter's suggestion will allow the correct DV, but not provide a drop-down list. Similarly a custom formula of =ABS(B1)=ABS(A1) would do the same.

RandomizerTX

Hope I am proved wrong, but I don't think so.

onlyadrafter's suggestion will allow the correct DV, but not provide a drop-down list. Similarly a custom formula of =ABS(B1)=ABS(A1) would do the same.

Thanks to both of you. I need a dropdown list, because the two choices I need to see in Column B will actually refer to another worksheet.

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Then I think you are going to need to generate the two numbers somewhere in your workbook by formulas or use vba.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjohn627