Data Validation Question - List or any value

zherczku

Hi All,

I try to make a data validation that depeing on the adjacent cell value allows to select from a drop down list (in case of "Employee") or allows to enter any value into the cell (in case of "External").

I tried to use the following formula =indirect(if($A2="Employee"; "NamedRange_Employee" ; "")). It works fine if Employee is selected, but does not work in the other case. The Indirect("") does not allow the "any value selection".

Any suggestion, solution? This should be a simple task, but I was not able to find how to solve...

Thanks,

Zoli

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Where is the Employee list coming from? Is it Static or Dynamic?

Upvote 0
Simple data validation.

The issue is not with the adjacent cell. The main question is whether it is possible to allow in a data validation rule (1) drop down list and (2) any entry. All this depending on the adjacent cell value.

There must be a solution or a workaround at least....

Upvote 0
I asked because it sounds like you want an Employee Name list only to be available if the adjacent cell equals "Employee". There has to be a list to populate Employee Name. It can be a Range, or a specific list that has that is typed in the Data Validation Rule. If the adjacent cell "External" in it, you just want someone to be able to type something in it. Is this a correct assumption? What if the adjacent cell has nothing in it, or has any other value than Employee or External? Or, is the adjacent cell itself a dropdown with only those two options?

Upvote 0
I asked because it sounds like you want an Employee Name list only to be available if the adjacent cell equals "Employee". There has to be a list to populate Employee Name. It can be a Range, or a specific list that has that is typed in the Data Validation Rule. If the adjacent cell "External" in it, you just want someone to be able to type something in it. Is this a correct assumption? What if the adjacent cell has nothing in it, or has any other value than Employee or External? Or, is the adjacent cell itself a dropdown with only those two options?
Yes, the adjacent cell is a drop-down with only two options. Employee and External

And yes, for the Employees I have a database (table), while the External is someone named and filled in by the project manager

Upvote 0
Great. What is the Range of Employee list?

Upvote 0
Paste this into Sheet1. Remember to test on a copy of your Workbook as unexpected results may occur.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim wb As Workbook, ws1 As Worksheet, ws2 As Worksheet
Set wb = ThisWorkbook
Set ws1 = wb.ActiveSheet
Set ws2 = wb.Sheets("Employee")

If Left(Target.Address, 2) = "$B" Then
    If Target.Offset(0, -1).Value = "Employee" Then
        With Target
            .Validation.Delete
            .Validation.Add xlValidateList, Formula1:="=Employee!$AA$1:$AA$49"
        End With
    Else
        With Target
            .Validation.Delete
        End With
    End If
Else
    Exit Sub
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back