Data Validation with IF/OR formula

BoilerMan691

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hello,

I am trying to write a Data Validation formula where if C7=N then D7 MUST =N, but if C7=Y then D7 can =Y or =N. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
James

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
In D7 the validation is =IF(C7="N", D7="N",TRUE)

However, if you subsequently change C7 the validation won't be tested. I would suggest using conditional formatting to catch that situation.

HTH

Upvote 0
T
In D7 the validation is =IF(C7="N", D7="N",TRUE)

However, if you subsequently change C7 the validation won't be tested. I would suggest using conditional formatting to catch that situation.

HTH
Thanks PJ,

So I tried that, but then it allowed me to use other characters besides Y when I made C7=Y. I'm trying to make it hard and fast where the only options for data entry in columns C and D are Y or N. And if column C data is N then column D data MUST be N also, however if column C data is Y then column D data may be Y or N. I'm already using conditional formatting to highlight columns B C and D Yellow or Green depending if it's a Y/N or Y/Y and if it's N/N then the column stays without highlight. Hope that better explains what I'm after?

Best
James

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@BoilerMan691 Does this help?

Picking Teams.xlsm
CD
7NN
Sheet6
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
D7Custom=OR(D7=C7,D7="N")

Upvote 0
Try this: =IF(C7="N", D7="N", or(D7="Y", D7="N")) which should solve the problem.

Upvote 0
PJ and Snake,

Thank you both for the suggestions. Both formulas appear to work the same as one another. Is there a way to incorporate the UPPER formula into these? I've tried nesting it as well as using & but neither have been successful. Sorry if my questions seem low level, but I'm a boiler mechanic by trade turned manager and trying to improve efficiencies on certain shop processes. I appreciate all of the help you've both offered me so far.

Thanks,
James

Upvote 0
James,
Then maybe try using validation lists like below?
Assumes that input to C7 will be restricted to either Y or N ?
Limit entry into C7 by way of list.
Create a two rows, somewhere out of the way, as per H2:H3 in the example.
Reference H2:H3 as the source of validation list for D7
Tick to retain dropdown DV list or not.

Picking%20Teams (version 1).xlsb
CDEFGH
1Val List
2N
3Y
7YN
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
H2H2=IF(OR(C7="N",C7="Y"),"N","")
H3H3=IF(C7="Y","Y","")
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
C7Listn,y,N,Y
D7List=$H$2:$H$3

HTH

Upvote 0
Solution
replace C7 with UPPER(C7) and D7 with UPPER(D7) in either of our formulas. I actually prefer Snakehips formula to my own as its 'slicker'! :)

HTH

Upvote 0
James, If it were me I think I would see the List option on both cells as the way to go. It prevents adding other letters to D7 if C7 is empty.
However, I do see that I carelessly included lowercase n & y in the list for C7. Remove them and you should be good and if you enter a lowercase in cell it should auto capitalise.

Upvote 0
PJ and Snake,

I just wanted to write back and thank both of you for all of your help. I wound up using the validation list route suggested by Snake. I also used the conditional formatting to highlight any changes that may have been made after the initial validation check passes suggested by PJ. I've been working on this spreadsheet for a few weeks now making small tweaks to improve it to a point where it's "idiot proof".

Best,
James

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrSabo83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back