Data Validation with text and date

Babayao

Hi,
Is it possible to have a data validation that includes a date and a text. For example, I want the users to have the option of only inputting a date, "continuous audit", "No physical inventory" or "No response received" in a cell. Is this possible? or is there any other way to do this, I tried the dropdown list but it doesn't work well for me.
Thanks.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
How did you do the drop down? As I understand it, you want to limit what the users can enter and you have 4 choices. This sounds like a perfect set up for a list. Maybe you can explain what "it doesn't work well for me" means.
In a column enter the four choices;
Code:
=Text(Now(),"mm-dd-yyyy")
Continuous audit
No physical inventory
No response received

Name that range Options or something meaningful. Then set up a cell with data validation using a drop down (like you started with) and use the named range for the list items. Now the date will change as required. It is a string object so it will display correctly in the cell.

Upvote 0
It didn't work for me because the dates can either be past, present and future dates. So I inputed a range like 1/1/2012 and I dragged it down till 12/31/2020 but those are too many options so that's why it didn't work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgp19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back