Date calculation to repeat a process

brianfosterblack

I have to run certain processes and repeat them every 6, 12 or 24 months.
I have details of the process in an Excel 2007 workbook.
In the spreadsheet I have the start date that the process needs to run in column W and how regularly it needs to be repeated (every 6, 12 or 24 months) in column X
The current month is set in Cell O1 of the spreadsheet. Irrespective of the day in the date in O1 I am actually only interested in the month and year.
What I need is a formula to show in column U, with the formula, is any of the following;
1. If it is the month and year that the process has to start then in column U it must state "Start"
2. If it is an exact multiple of the month since the start date (e.g if it repeated every 6 (shown in column X) months then if it is 6, 12 18 months etc.) after the start date then in column U must be the word "Repeat" otherwise in column U must simply be the word "Continue"

Can anyone help me with this. I have tried to us the formula using Datedif to determined in months the difference between the start date and cell O1 and then REM( to see if the datedif in months is an exact multiple of the months appearing in column X but I am not getting this right.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
You say O1 is "the current month", so how is that shown - is it just today's date or the month number or month name?

Upvote 0
If O1 is the first of the current month, which you can automate with this formula

=EOMONTH(TODAY(),-1)+1

then try this formula for U2

=IF(W2-DAY(W2)+1=O$1,"Start",IF(MOD(DATEDIF(O$1,W2,"m"),X2)=0,"Repeat","Continue"))

Upvote 0
Should have put in my previous reply that the date is placed in O1 with a macro I use to select the date I want to run the report with. In most cases this will be with today's date but sometimes I need to check up on previous months so I can enter other dates. The format is always dd/MM/yyyy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgharbawi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back