Date format problem: 2012.03.45 ??

TorontoJim

Board Regular
I have a workbook that until yesterday was just fine. Now all of a sudden all the dates in two columns have changed so that the DAY is incrementing non-stop. That is, I have dates like:

I've checked the format and it's yyyy.mm.dd as it should be. I've tried changing the format but the format won't change anything. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
If you change the format to General, what value do you see there? If these values are proper dates, you should get a number like 40998 (30/03/2012).

Upvote 0
If I change it to General, it doesn't change. Here is the code that inserts the date:

Code:
    wsRequestList.Cells(7, 2).NumberFormat = "yyyy.mm.dd"
    Dim strThisMonth As String
    strThisMonth = Month(Date)
    If Len(strThisMonth) < 2 Then
        strThisMonth = "0" & strThisMonth
    End If
    Dim strThisDOM As String
    strThisDOM = Day(Date)
    If Len(strThisDOM) < 2 Then
        strThisDOM = "0" & strThisDOM
    End If
    wsRequestList.Range("B7").Value = Year(Date) & "." & strThisMonth & "." & strThisDOM

I had to specifically format the days and months to two digits as these records form court documents. None of the built in formatting options would do that for me.

These dates have been FINE until yesterday when for no reason, they all started being incremented. Since I've concantenated the dates as a string I don't see how anything could have selectively incremented the day only without adding characters to the string.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the double post.

The only OTHER part of the macros that touches that cell is a process to Trim the value in case of manual entry (as there have been problems with manual entries and extra spaces). I've just been through all the macros in the workbook and nothing alters that cell once it is filled in except for the Trim.

Upvote 0
You're setting the format correctly, and then meticulousy ignoring it and populating the cell with a string. Maybe just:

Code:
    With wsRequestList.Range("B7")
        .NumberFormat = "yyyy.mm.dd"
        .Value = Date
    End With

If you really need a string in there for some reason (versus a formatted date), then just this:

Code:
    wsRequestList.Range("B7") = Format(Date, "yyyy.mm.dd")

Upvote 0
Yes, thanks. I am changing it for future entries. I still have to go back and do 800 manual edits.....

Upvote 0
I still have to go back and do 800 manual edits
Por que?

Select the column, do find and replace . with - and they will convert to dates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burk0007

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back