Date format problem

ExcelJay4

Platform
  1. Windows
Hey,

I have a problem where I can type dates dd/mm/yyyy but when I type it dd.mm.yyyy as I'm accustomed to it comes as a decimal. If I try to change the decimal to short date it appears as 00/01/1900. Appreciate your help :).

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Same problem when I download a excel file from software some dates appear as decimals and changing format to short date it shows the same problem -> 00/01/1900. For some reason the dates which are last day of the month e.g. 31.07.2021 appear as they are supposed to except their format is general but I can change them to short date format normally.

Upvote 0
Did you format the cell in custom formatting as dd.mm.yyyy?

Upvote 0
I type to my cell 15.08.2021. It comes as 0,653946759259259. If I format this to dd/mm/yyyy it comes off as 00/01/1900.

Attachments

• excel date problem.png
    excel date problem.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
The formula bar even has time in there too :eek:. I open the format of the cell and it shows dd.mm.yyyy and it somehow shows the time also??

Attachments

• excel prob new.png
    excel prob new.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
i'm confused.... you said you wanted dd.mm.yyyy format.
regardless: it must be done in the correct order
1. Format the cell dd.mm.yyyy or dd/mm/yyyy or mm.dd.yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy It doesn't matter..... just whatever format you want.
2. Input the date 15.08.2021 or 15/08/2021 or 08.15.2021 or 08/15/2021 (according to the format above.
... if that doesnt work Just put it in with the DATE Function. =Date(2021,08,15)

Upvote 0
I know. This is the weirdest bug. I tried to open a new workbook, format the whole sheet as dd.mm.yyyy. After that i enter 15.08.2021 and it came out as 00/01/1900 19.42.41.

Upvote 0
i'm confused.... you said you wanted dd.mm.yyyy format.
regardless: it must be done in the correct order
1. Format the cell dd.mm.yyyy or dd/mm/yyyy or mm.dd.yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy It doesn't matter..... just whatever format you want.
2. Input the date 15.08.2021 or 15/08/2021 or 08.15.2021 or 08/15/2021 (according to the format above.
... if that doesnt work Just put it in with the DATE Function. =Date(2021,08,15)
scratch the first part of step 2. when you type in the dates that way excel thinks it is text.
just use the Date(YEAR,MONTH,DAY) method.

Upvote 0
Do you know what your WINDOWS regional settings are? (Not Excel... WINDOWS).

Upvote 0
I think you need to enter dates either using the DATE function (as above) or in however your windows regional settings are established.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back