DATE Formula - Find earliest posted date in range of dates given month and year

Derick63

Board Regular
Hello all. I am looking for a DATE formula. I've tried so many formula iterations without success. Frustration level now 985....
Here's the scenario; I have 12 Worksheets (January through December) where Employees Payroll records are posted with formulas in other columns to calculate different government contributions based on their salary. On a separate Worksheet (named NIS184), which, once a month we are required to submit all employees contributions, a VBA routine posts the sheet name where the data is located to retrieve the sum of the salary for that month and year for each employee displayed in a cell. There are other cells that retrieve each contribution for that PayDate and the following PayDates. This month name (This is a text cell named NISConMth) can be changed by the user for any month. There is a From Date and To Date Cell. I am trying to automatically display the From date for the month shown. There is also a Year cell named NISConYr that retrieves the year from the last record Date located on the Month Sheet. All my formulas worked as I wanted but when I tested if a previous year was in the dataset I encountered an epic failure. All because there was a prior year and how the formulas searched through the records.

Shown below are entry dates (Paydates) for records. Each (Pay) date has 27 entry rows (1 per employee). End of month is for 5 Motnhly paid employee. The FROM date on the NIS184 Sheet needs to display 2022-08-05 which is the first (Pay) date of August 2022.

Given the month (text format and also the sheet name) and year (date format), how do I get earliest (Pay)date (Day) of the month and year to show in the FROM Cell? I'll include the sheets necessary to show what I'm talking about with callout notes explaining the data.
Note: XL2BB did not pick up the callout clouds and other items so here's a link to the file located on my Google Drive. The file does not have any macros and is clean.
Link to the Book1Help.xlsx file.

August 6, 2021
August 13, 2021
August 20, 2021
August 27, 2021
August 31, 2021
September 3, 2021
August 5, 2022
August 12, 2022
August 19, 2022
August 26, 2022
August 31, 2022
September 2, 2022

Thanks for your indulgence.
Derick

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Solution: If you're wondering....

=IF(NisConYr="","",MIN(IF(YEAR(INDIRECT(NisConMth&"!B9:B1009"))=NisConYr,INDIRECT(NisConMth&"!B9:B1009"))))

I used an IF statement for error control instead of IFERROR
The Formula looks for the latest year instead of Month and Year since the sheet is already of the Month, August in this case.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back