Dates Not Copying Correctly

Justinian

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am copying dates from an external database to Excel in column A. When I do, dates appear in the format of "mm/dd/yy" (so today shows as 01/28/24). If B2 = today's date and I run the IF statement that says =B2=A2, the return is FALSE even though both A2 and B2 have 01/28/24 in the cells. When I manually type 01/28/24 in A2, all of a sudden B2 returns TRUE.

Why is this happening and how can I fix without re-typing all the dates in column A?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Is your Column A formatted as (Short or Long) Date? If it's Text, that could be the issue (even if it looks like a date).
The default format is "General"

Upvote 0
Convert Column A to numbers and change back to dates. Then check the correctness of Dates. Some dates do get distorted in the process... If any you have to change them manually. Not all.

Upvote 0
Sounds like the dates are text, to convert them to dates, select column A, Text to columns (on the data tab), delimited, next, clear all checkboxes, next, select MDY from the date option, Finish.

Upvote 0
Is your Column A formatted as (Short or Long) Date? If it's Text, that could be the issue (even if it looks like a date).
The default format is "General"
I tried both (long and short date) and neither worked.

Upvote 0
Convert Column A to numbers and change back to dates. Then check the correctness of Dates. Some dates do get distorted in the process... If any you have to change them manually. Not all.
Tried that and it did not work. This data is imported so I cannot be changing all the dates manually.

Upvote 0
Sounds like the dates are text, to convert them to dates, select column A, Text to columns (on the data tab), delimited, next, clear all checkboxes, next, select MDY from the date option, Finish.
I cannot do that every day when I import the data. There has to be a better way.

Upvote 0
There has to be a better way.
Record yourself doing the steps, save the macro in your personal workbook and add it to your QAT (although doing it manually takes about 5 seconds and so I don't really see the issue)

Upvote 0
Not sure what a QAT is and manually retyping hundreds of imported dates takes more than 5 seconds. The point is for the end user to import data and access the dashboard without having to modify the source data.

Upvote 0
and manually retyping hundreds of imported dates takes more than 5 seconds
Fluff's method does not require any retyping of dates (1 column selection and 5 mouse clicks [or 4 mouse clicks and a dropdown change])

Not sure what a QAT is
The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) is the row with the red arrow pointing to it (if you can't see it then enable it in Options)
1706574779691.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back